Hay Season 2018

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent":16j7sm5k said:
skyhightree1":16j7sm5k said:
Spent some time haying

I like that hay rake......that looks like a Kuhn. Mine is a 1995 model and is pretty worn. I have looked at Vermeer and saw a Kuhn sell at auction. Both cost to much, but I need one.

It is.. I see no difference between the rhino I.have and that 1

skyhightree1":2iptlei5 said:
mdt192":2iptlei5 said:

Finally getting the last of first cutting out.

Nice is that a trailer made from a mobile home trailer frame ?

Well, a burnt up camper trailer. It's 32x8. Pulled everything off, welded 4 cattle panels to it for a floor. I'm sure those axles are overloaded, but it doesn't go far or fast.

mdt192":2dadkbkc said:
skyhightree1":2dadkbkc said:
mdt192":2dadkbkc said:

Finally getting the last of first cutting out.

Nice is that a trailer made from a mobile home trailer frame ?

Well, a burnt up camper trailer. It's 32x8. Pulled everything off, welded 4 cattle panels to it for a floor. I'm sure those axles are overloaded, but it doesn't go far or fast.

Nice I have been looking for something like that now i use regular trailers and a old cotton trailer think 40' long to haul hay too.

Second cut of grass is done. Gotta haul tomorrow. 101 60x48 bales off of 40 acres.

Drying weather has been good. I mowed the last of it yesterday around 11AM, was dry and ready tonight at 6.

forecast is right for next week as of today. If And I mean IF it holds i will get to start first cut on the leased property . Quality will be low but quantity should be high and at least I sprayed in the spring so very little weeds. Its gonna be a bytch to get dry with 70% humidity

3rd cut alfalfa is done. We will cut it one more time. Mowed yesterday, tried baling last night but had some rain and had to quit. Finished up this morning, 91 bales off of ~50 acres. That's down from 160 on the first cut, has been really dry for the past few weeks.

I've never made hay like this in 30 - 35 days, best field is over 6 rolls to the acre, worst is over 4 rolls. There only 5'x4' rolls but I'm very happy. I was selling cows in May because I had no grass or hay left.
The only thing crazier than a woman is the weather.

M-5":1zita5bu said:
True Grit Farms":1zita5bu said:
Good job, are putting that hay in a barn?

I was going too but Sat Morning i got 7/10 on it and just as I finished yesterday it started raining and got 2".
Dang the luck. But I'd take rained on baled hay, over no rain. I hope that wasn't your T85 field?

True Grit Farms":2adiy52a said:
M-5":2adiy52a said:
True Grit Farms":2adiy52a said:
Good job, are putting that hay in a barn?

I was going too but Sat Morning i got 7/10 on it and just as I finished yesterday it started raining and got 2".
Dang the luck. But I'd take rained on baled hay, over no rain. I hope that wasn't your T85 field?

It wasn't , The 85 is ready I just need 4 more days of dry weather to get it made.

JMJ Farms":ap036ym4 said:
LDEnterprises":ap036ym4 said:
View from the tractor right now. Wrapping 141 bales we cut on Friday and baled yesterday.

Have you figured what it cost per bale to wrap with that wrapper?

It "should" be less than $3 per roll but we received a hateful pallet of Sunfilm which has a lot more waste than it should.

LDEnterprises":355twybl said:
JMJ Farms":355twybl said:
LDEnterprises":355twybl said:
View from the tractor right now. Wrapping 141 bales we cut on Friday and baled yesterday.

It "should" be less than $3 per roll but we received a hateful pallet of Sunfilm which has a lot more waste than it should.

Without having any experience with wrapping I would say that is $3 well spent. I'd still rather have a hay barn but you can do a lot of wrapping at $3 bale.

JMJ Farms":2rtrhirb said:
LDEnterprises":2rtrhirb said:
JMJ Farms":2rtrhirb said:

Without having any experience with wrapping I would say that is $3 well spent. I'd still rather have a hay barn but you can do a lot of wrapping at $3 bale.

Said hay barn would be up in smoke with the high moisture in these bales! ;-)

Latest posts