Hay Season 2018

Help Support CattleToday:

LDEnterprises":xc5acrpq said:
JMJ Farms":xc5acrpq said:
LDEnterprises":xc5acrpq said:
It "should" be less than $3 per roll but we received a hateful pallet of Sunfilm which has a lot more waste than it should.

Without having any experience with wrapping I would say that is $3 well spent. I'd still rather have a hay barn but you can do a lot of wrapping at $3 bale.

Said hay barn would be up in smoke with the high moisture in these bales! ;-)

Yes. It slipped my mind that you were doing baleage. If I had a wrapper like yours I'm not sure that I would put up any dry hay. Maybe just a little.

JMJ Farms":3szl77l3 said:
LDEnterprises":3szl77l3 said:
JMJ Farms":3szl77l3 said:
Without having any experience with wrapping I would say that is $3 well spent. I'd still rather have a hay barn but you can do a lot of wrapping at $3 bale.

Said hay barn would be up in smoke with the high moisture in these bales! ;-)

Yes. It slipped my mind that you were doing baleage. If I had a wrapper like yours I'm not sure that I would put up any dry hay. Maybe just a little.

A friend of mine swears by it (same one I told you about Mike). But we never see haylege or baleage in out area.

We only try to put up 2nd cutting dry. All first is done as baleage. We use an inline wrapper (my neighbor's).
All the dairies around put up haylage in the spring - May/June.
Most people probably don't realize, but NY is the 3rd largest dairy state, so lots of dairy farms around. Agriculture is the number 1 industry in NY - apples, cherries, etc.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":icn8gzxi said:
We only try to put up 2nd cutting dry. All first is done as baleage. We use an inline wrapper (my neighbor's).
Most people probably don't realize, but NY is the 3rd largest dairy state, so lots of dairy farms around. Agriculture is the number 1 industry in NY - apples, cherries, etc.
New York. :mrgreen: Amazing how one city can screw up a state..... :hide: :lol:

1982vett":1t5cukxd said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1t5cukxd said:
New York. :mrgreen: Amazing how one city can screw up a state..... :hide: :lol:
That's a fact, I never knew how rural western NY was till I married a country girl from there.

You laugh. When we moved here from Kansas (1978), people couldn't believe we could find enough land for our cattle. :shock:
People in Upstate NY do not like to be affiliated with NYC in any way. It is like that is a whole different state. And, in reality it is!!

Stocker Steve":2cvhbcj6 said:
LDEnterprises":2cvhbcj6 said:
JMJ Farms Have you figured what it cost per bale to wrap with that wrapper?[/quote:2cvhbcj6 said:
It "should" be less than $3 per roll but we received a hateful pallet of Sunfilm which has a lot more waste than it should.

$3 for plastic or for total cost?

Dang I wish for total cost. Just for the plastic!

Only a few BTOs here who still chop hay every 28 days, but inline wrappers are all the rage. I am reluctant to invest more in haying equipment, but wrappers can be rented if you have connections.

Climate change seems to be making our summers wetter, so even if you wait until the traditional late June/early July time frame you are still getting a lot of rain. Poorly drained hay meadows are drier in mid June than they are in mid July,

Stockpile stocked up great around 50 acres I wonder how long 10 cows and 1 bull can live on it.. I have 719 bales of hay hope I don't run out lol

skyhightree1":24rrr3rp said:

Stockpile stocked up great around 50 acres I wonder how long 10 cows and 1 bull can live on it.. I have 719 bales of hay hope I don't run out lol

Looks like you're in GOOD shape, wish I could say the same.

snoopdog":m48ejeo0 said:
skyhightree1":m48ejeo0 said:

Were you in a drought area?

We just got through making over 1450 square bales and about 20 4x5 round bales to finish up, starting last Saturday and finishing Thursday eve., before we got nearly an inch of rain on Friday. Delivered 2 loads of 200 each and put another 200 in a neighbors barn and sold another 100 off the wagon. Then filled up the wagons and finished with the round baler. It was 9:30 Thursday night when we got all the wagons in the barn and the balers under the sheds.
We still have about 35 acres to make; about 14 acres orchard grass and another 20 of just grass hay. The orchard grass will be square bales and the other will probably be round bales. We are losing the place with the grass hay after this year and so want to try to get the last of the hay we can. Owner wants more money than we feel prudent to spend; have had it for years but since the husband has passed, she has gone up and we cannot justify continuing to do spraying and such with increased rent costs. Maybe it is time to cut back a bit, it is the furthest away from us but has been good pasture for heifers on the one side of the road.

Have two places with plenty of grass to start moving fall calving cows w/ calves to. Pastures elsewhere are getting eaten down now.

Looks like your cows will have plenty of grass Sky, ....LOL.

Sky - your cows will be in cow heaven this winter.
We finally got our 2nd cutting done last month but it was put up as baleage. Just started winter bale feeding to all the cows this past week. We have plenty of bales for the winter. In good shape.

farmerjan":11v0ryab said:
We just got through making over 1450 square bales and about 20 4x5 round bales to finish up, starting last Saturday and finishing Thursday eve., before we got nearly an inch of rain on Friday. Delivered 2 loads of 200 each and put another 200 in a neighbors barn and sold another 100 off the wagon. Then filled up the wagons and finished with the round baler. It was 9:30 Thursday night when we got all the wagons in the barn and the balers under the sheds.
We still have about 35 acres to make; about 14 acres orchard grass and another 20 of just grass hay. The orchard grass will be square bales and the other will probably be round bales. We are losing the place with the grass hay after this year and so want to try to get the last of the hay we can. Owner wants more money than we feel prudent to spend; have had it for years but since the husband has passed, she has gone up and we cannot justify continuing to do spraying and such with increased rent costs. Maybe it is time to cut back a bit, it is the furthest away from us but has been good pasture for heifers on the one side of the road.

Have two places with plenty of grass to start moving fall calving cows w/ calves to. Pastures elsewhere are getting eaten down now.

Looks like your cows will have plenty of grass Sky, ....LOL.

I know what you mean.. Yea they will :lol:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":26cjr83p said:
Sky - your cows will be in cow heaven this winter.
We finally got our 2nd cutting done last month but it was put up as baleage. Just started winter bale feeding to all the cows this past week. We have plenty of bales for the winter. In good shape.

this year was a great year for most with hay im glad youre all set. Do you only feed hay?

skyhightree1":2yqd17n2 said:
snoopdog":2yqd17n2 said:
skyhightree1":2yqd17n2 said:

I am not sure if its a recognized drought area, we are on the cusp of the map. I cut everything I could, and fertilized heavy after last year. We are overstocked and we know it, I will be culling hard and weaning early this year. My pasture lease doesn't allow me a rotational option, so it really hurts in the spring and fall. I think I have enough but its gonna be sketchy if I can't get the culling done in a timely manner. We're working on bringing the herd around to spring calving, to meet this, its just gonna take some time. Looking at some other places to buy,or lease, that I can rotate on, but so far nothing is jumping out. Water is the constraint.

snoopdog":13cgrote said:
skyhightree1":13cgrote said:
snoopdog":13cgrote said:

I am not sure if its a recognized drought area, we are on the cusp of the map. I cut everything I could, and fertilized heavy after last year. We are overstocked and we know it, I will be culling hard and weaning early this year. My pasture lease doesn't allow me a rotational option, so it really hurts in the spring and fall. I think I have enough but its gonna be sketchy if I can't get the culling done in a timely manner. We're working on bringing the herd around to spring calving, to meet this, its just gonna take some time. Looking at some other places to buy,or lease, that I can rotate on, but so far nothing is jumping out. Water is the constraint.

Sorry it's a tough situation.. we will be dry probably next year

Latest posts