Hay Season 2016

Help Support CattleToday:

I think 50/50 split for doing all machine work, and possibly irritation as well is pretty common... it depends on the quality of hay coming off it though, I'd be stipulating minimum yields as well before I bust my arse doing someone else's hay

Heres a couple heavy bred heifers watching the haybine while i clip the pasture they are on..

IMG_20160618_194702385_zpsppkofqgr.jpg

Dried really well i just cut it sunday morning

IMG_20160620_202402284_zpsscp09k0d.jpg

IMG_20160620_203036667_zpsvljdg0al.jpg

Nesikep":1f9c3rbl said:
I think 50/50 split for doing all machine work, and possibly irritation as well is pretty common... it depends on the quality of hay coming off it though, I'd be stipulating minimum yields as well before I bust my arse doing someone else's hay
Maybe I'm being a jerk but I won't even consider mowing and baling for someone unless they give me a 70/30 split, and even then it had better be pretty decent hay. My time is too valuable for 50/50 unless I really need the hay.

Lazy M":imixeoiu said:
Nesikep":imixeoiu said:
Maybe I'm being a jerk but I won't even consider mowing and baling for someone unless they give me a 70/30 split, and even then it had better be pretty decent hay. My time is too valuable for 50/50 unless I really need the hay.

My guy that does my hay fields pitched a fit when I told him this year was going to be 50/50 I told him no problem I can buy all new equipment and start selling hay and be your competition if you like. I have 300 acres in hay fields and normally get about 150 acres in peanut vines. I do all the fertilizing and spraying nitrogen etc not to mention pay rent on some of it so if he feels froggy he can leap. I reminded him i did it before him and can do it after him too. Im not a jerk im an A H

Lazy M":1963cdxs said:
Nesikep":1963cdxs said:
70/30 would be what I'd consider if they guy did all the irrigation, seeding, and fertilizing... I spend far too much time irrigating here to even consider 70/30 otherwise...

On my good fields I have gotten over 4ton/acre on the first cut, no way I'd give 3 of those for 1 hour's work per acre to cut, bale and pick

I think 50/50 is still pretty common around here but i think we value our hay differently than those asking for 70%. I wouldn't crank a tractor for less than $70 an acre either.

Howdy y'all,

New here and just was wondering if y'all could point me in the direction of someone that would be willing to bale my mother in laws hay. Or just tell me where to look to find that info. It's coastal Bermuda, we could cut it, we just don't have the equipment to bale it, we could even work out some kind of deal price wise for the hay. We are trying to work towards an ag exemption. We don't have much acreage, but it's 5 acres. We are in Corinth.

Thanks so much in advance,
J

1982vett":p0sqdgwd said:
I think 50/50 is still pretty common around here but i think we value our hay differently than those asking for 70%. I wouldn't crank a tractor for less than $70 an acre either.

Here it depends on the hay field.. Unfertilized & weedy = no way....Unfertilized but not weedy = 60/40 They have fertilized and controlled weeds = 50/50.

1982vett":3c0zfpdc said:
Sky, I know you are a busy man, but you might just need do slow down a bit.....

I agree ... That happened after listening to Toad off of here telling me im going too slow.

Might want to let the hay dry before you try to bale it. The pins that hold the laces together on the belt are normally replaced every 500-1000 bales. Not trying to be critical just some helpful hints.

Decided to cut more - I need to move the bales to the farms that I will be wintering the cows this winter

IMG_20160821_152252087_zpsmc0srldo.jpg

IMG_20160821_160830583_zpsanugtu8z.jpg

IMG_20160821_161823562_zpseift9zgy.jpg

Accidentally ran him over

IMG_20160821_152811771_zpsjincwecg.jpg

I finished the last hay I play on cutting for a while and will let my buddy who I do a 50/50 split with carry on the torch... Stuff had some weeds but looks ok to me im cutting my over grown pastures I need more cows. I guess they will eat this stuff it will be more filling than a snow ball sandwich.

IMG_20160827_170600880_TOP_zpsvw16ha6j.jpg

IMG_20160827_171924626_zpspzup5nkl.jpg

Done for the year! At least with rolls. I may try to get a couple loads of small squares baled in a few acres of heavy clover, but I'm putting the round baler in the barn for good tomorrow!

Lazy M":2lv3t3g5 said:

Done for the year! At least with rolls. I may try to get a couple loads of small squares baled in a few acres of heavy clover, but I'm putting the round baler in the barn for good tomorrow!

I am done too thank fully now my hay guy will be doing my hay 100%

Latest posts