Hay Season 2016

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
We started cutting hay this past weekend... Yes even I cut some and tedded it.. Cut wheat hay and some barley with crimson clover. I helped a little bit so I wouldn't forget how to do it.

skyhightree1":2ok6224x said:
We started cutting hay this past weekend... Yes even I cut some and tedded it.. Cut wheat hay and some barley with crimson clover. I helped a little bit so I wouldn't forget how to do it.
I'm sure a quick glance would tell us which ones you rolled. :lol: :hide: Seeing quite a bit of hay on the ground around here. Mostly volunteer rye grass but a few fields of wheat in farming country.

TexasBred":1bkp8dq5 said:
skyhightree1":1bkp8dq5 said:
I'm sure a quick glance would tell us which ones you rolled. :lol: :hide: Seeing quite a bit of hay on the ground around here. Mostly volunteer rye grass but a few fields of wheat in farming country.

Hey now I can still roll a pretty bale just prefer to have someone else roll it for me ;-)

Weather hasn't been co-operating for most around here. Showers and chance of showers 3-4 days a week for several weeks now.

Myself, I'm not cutting anything this year. Barns for the most part are full.

just getting in from the hay field I was helping the guy that does my hay get everything baled and moved to the barn before the rain

The grass is ready around here but unfortunately the weather just won't co-operate, chance of rain 8 out of the next 10 days.

That's an electric leaf blower by the way, only thing I could find to give it some scale. As always my tape measure disappeared when I needed it lol

Rye grass is waist deep here.. I have to Bush hog It when it drys up .. I doubt I could cut hay for a month if it stopped raining today .. but I'll take this over a drought any day..I've decided to run cows on my hay fields and let someone else fight the weather/ weeds .. I've contracted my hay out this year .. it will be delivered and stacked in the barn cheaper than I can spray fertilize and bale it my self .. I'll test the hay and feed accordingly..

We've been planting triticale for the past couple years. Helped our hay man rolled up and wrapped 85 5x5 wet bales over the weekend off of 12 acres. Can't make them bigger, they're hard enough to handle at the 5x5 size! The triticale was maybe 1/3 fully headed out, the rest had the head still in the whorl. We have another 35 acres to dry bale, hopefully it will dry up. Been raining every day since we finished wrapping.

JSCATTLE":j2t9rno8 said:
Rye grass is waist deep here.. I have to Bush hog It when it drys up .. I doubt I could cut hay for a month if it stopped raining today .. but I'll take this over a drought any day..I've decided to run cows on my hay fields and let someone else fight the weather/ weeds .. I've contracted my hay out this year .. it will be delivered and stacked in the barn cheaper than I can spray fertilize and bale it my self .. I'll test the hay and feed accordingly..

Glad I'm not trying to bale. Fireants built the mounds high this year and they are rather hard.

Had snow yesterday morning that turned the ground white for the better part of the day. Grass is hardly growing. This is one of my fields along the highway yesterday at 6.30am, by 10am is was solid white.
dscn4850.jpg

Saw just a little done around here. Guy cut some up the road yesterday morning or late Friday. Cloudy all day with a cold wind, only 64 today, cloudy and chance of rain tomorrow, not sure when he plans on baling.

1982vett":30xmz8gr said:
Glad I'm not trying to bale. Fireants built the mounds high this year and they are rather hard.

Every field that has been cut for hay here has streaks uncut from the fire ants mounds & gopher mounds. It's been wet enough so that the mud builds up on the mower and deflects the blades.

Well I decided to take the 3 day window Mother Nature gave us & make a little hay. Mowed about 12 acres, going to bale it tommorrow & hope I can get it put up before the rain arrives. If only I had one more dry day, just ONE!!!

Looks good jabes

I was flagged down by some folks that just bought a place here they have some hay/pastures maybe 15 acres total they took all the fences down but would like to keep it as pasture and offered me the grass and want to pay me to cut it for hay and haul it away but i told them id cut it they didn't owe me a dime.

Latest posts