Hay Price's in different state's.

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdy,
Made on time mixed grass (fescue, orchard, timothy, white clover) indoor stored going from the farm for $55 a 4x5 roll (approx 800#)
60# small bales orchard + alfalfa going for $6.00 a square from the farm.

Northern Virginia Area

Please forgive me for stating the obvious here, but do any of you think that a man can put the time and money into growing decent hay, harvest or pay someone to harvest it, and sell 5x4 rolls for $15 or less? I sell extra 5x4's for $20 each and hate to do that. I'd much rather feed it to a cow, that's what it was raised for! I average feeding 6 rolls per cow per year and the last time I checked, the girls were doing better than $120/year.

I've been very fortunate this year. If you've been following my posts, you know I took over a small farm when my father in law decided to call it quits due to his age. He had about fifty round bales left over and that's what I've been using. It's going to be close but I think that's going to get me through to mid to late March. The only problem is that it's stored on a hillside and since I don't have a tractor yet, I use my Blazer and a small trailer to move it into the feed area. On muddy days this is a real problem. Anyway, there is an old barn on the property. You know the kind, it's leaning about 5 feet to the left and looks like it could fall at any minute. I could tell by looking between the boards that it had some hay in the loft but had been afraid to go up and see what it was. Yesterday, I took an extension ladder, climbed up from the outside and removed a couple of boards. It's about 1/3 full of square bales. I took a few bales out to the girls and they loved it. It looks better than what I've been feeding but it has to be at least 5 years old. I'm not sure what age does to hay, but if this turns out to be ok, it will get me through till spring and will be an easy to move supply on muddy days.

Stepper

Where in AR is the hay you refer to? I know someone that has a trip planned that direction and might be able to work something out.

dcara

I am in Ozark Arkansas, if you decide you want to try and pick up the hay. Let me know how much you need and i am pretty certain i can locate it for you.

dcara,

Also if you want it. I will locate it for you and let you know what it will cost you a bail before you come to get it. I am thinking you can buy good 4 x 5 bails for $ 15 to $ 20 a bail.

I am not tring to make any money. Just tring to help out a fellow farmer. But i am sure i can locate all that you want for thoes price's. Now i am taking you at your word that you are not going to turn arround a sell it for $ 80 a bail. I just hate to see people takeing advantage of.

All these prices mean nothing to me. What is the quality of the hay you are pricing?

Bar ditch hay (weeds and trash included) with 2% protein is worthless at any price.

Well LonghornRanch,

It's like this. I dont feed my cow's weed's and trash. And like i was telling draca i am not making a dime off of the hay that i was locating for him. And as far as the quality of the hay, unless you grow it and bail it yourself or take a forage test on it. You have no choice but take the farmers word as to the quality of the hay. Now with that being said. The people who i was going to refer someone looking for hay to are farmer's who i have bought hay from myself. And i trust these people enough that i feel pretty confident at what they tell me is the truth.

So to respond to your question. You can feed your cow's kuckel burs and rice pudding as far as i care. Or gold nuggets since price is not a problem for you. All i was offering to do was to help other farmer's from being ripped off paying $80 a bail for hay.

Here in northern NC,
fescue/orchardgrass bales are $30 4 X 5 round bales, $5.50 sq.
Oat hay(i'm feeding) $30 round $4 sq.
Coastal $30 round $3.50 to $4 sq.
Timothy $40 round $7 sq.
Alfalfa no round bales, $9 to $11 sq. Have to import it, it doesn't really grow around here.

We had a bad summer for 2nd cuttings. 1st cutting was ok though.

Stepper, I wasn't even talking to you. My post was a general reply to this post. The most important factor in hay is quality, but yet no one is talking about the quality of the hay when posting the price.

Message Board Etiquette:
If I was talking to you, I would have posted your name. (Like you did in your post to me.) Or I would have quoted you in my post.

Up here we still get real good heavy leafed alfalfa for $100/ton and add five bucks a ton for delivery...I spend mopre than that in diesel to go get it, besides I don't buck hay anymore; that's what son-in-law is for. DMc

Here in RI, we make hay on 50 acres. First and second cut. We keep about 800 bales in our barn for the herd, and sell the rest. We make the square bales, about 25 - 35 lbs and depending on the quality, (weight/color) we sell it for between $3.50 and $4.25 a bale. It's $3.75 a bale if they come take it right off the field. Most of our fields are a pasture mix that makes nice hay with good color. We do have one field we do for a friend that is about half pasture grass and half alfalpha. Those go for up towards the $4.00 range. Then of course we have the one or two cuts that got caught in the rain while it was on the field. We use that for construction hay. That goes for $2.00 - $3.00 a bale. We're going to have to up those prices a bit this year, as that barely covered labor, fuel and repairs last year.

WillowFarm,

Last year was my first year to square bail any hay but i have hualed a whole lot of it. And i have never saw a 25 to 35 lb square bail of hay. How do you bail such a light bail. I have seen some that would go as low as 45 lb,s and that stuff was so loose that it would not stack very well at all in the barn.

Stepper":2xhqkfpu said:
WillowFarm,

Last year was my first year to square bail any hay but i have hualed a whole lot of it. And i have never saw a 25 to 35 lb square bail of hay. How do you bail such a light bail. I have seen some that would go as low as 45 lb,s and that stuff was so loose that it would not stack very well at all in the barn.

Stepper,

Maybe my 25 to 35 lb weight was a bit of a light estimate on most of what we do. Most of those lighter weights are the "junk" hay that have got caught out in the rain and are used in construction. I would say the feed hay averages around the 40lb mark for the most part, and never more than 50lb. A 40lb bale makes for nice tight bale, at least with our baler. Since over half of the hay we make is for our own herd, we purposely make them on the light side for easier handling for the women and kids we have helping out.

Latest posts