Hay goin ta Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Rookie":344j0t53 said:
txag":344j0t53 said:
hey Rookie, do you be sustaining an injury to da head? what's up with the talk? you didn't talk that way when you started here:

Ok, for the record. I been thru this once before. My momma was a Cajun and my daddy was a Hillbilly, made for quite an interesting combination of speakin around our place, likewise my level of education be not all that good. When I first be signed up to the board, my better half did all the typin for me. She be a lot smarter than me. But after a bit she couldn't be around always and said I need be doin it myself. I say nobody gonna like my ways and she said ya be needin ta suck it up and ta be nice with those what don't understand. So here I be. I been made fun of, called a leprechaun, got PM's accusing me a bein a "alter ego" for some one be wantin ta disrupt the board, etc, etc.Why da ya think I been on the board as long as I been and got so few a posts, partly cause I be too busy to be on the net a lot, partly cause I don't be fittin in well with normal folks. So there it be sir, no head injury, just different upbringin and more empty space up there than most folks. :lol: :oops: :lol:
a cajun and hillbilly combo son its a wonder they let you out in public. no wonder you live in kansas :p

quote] a cajun and hillbilly combo son its a wonder they let you out in public. no wonder you live in kansas :p[/quote]

Aint it so!!!

Rookie more empty space up there than most folks. :lol: :oops: :lol:[/quote said:
I seriously doubt that! :D You are who you are, never be apologizin' for that! ;-)

Well I dont type with an accent,but this drought is eating us alive in TX,and hay coming in at those prices aint gonna help a beef producer,maybe some pure bred folks,but plain ole beef cattle wont pencil long with hay prices like that.............good luck

HAY MAKER":1glkf3d3 said:
Well I dont type with an accent,but this drought is eating us alive in TX,and hay coming in at those prices aint gonna help a beef producer,maybe some pure bred folks,but plain ole beef cattle wont pencil long with hay prices like that.............good luck
I wonder what the initial cost of the hay is before the trucking and fuel cost are added in

HAY MAKER":yhnfhs5e said:

We've gotten just enough rain to keep the forage green and since our stocking rate is light feeding hasn't been a problem yet. The real problem here for some folks is that the ground is so thirsty it would take 6-10" in a solid deluge to get any meaningful runoff. I'm looking at borrowing a honey wagon/nurse tank used for hauling water to get water from the creek and then hook it up to a portable trough with a float valve so I can utilize the pastures where the ponds have gone dry.

milesvb":ddw6dr4m said:
HAY MAKER":ddw6dr4m said:

We've gotten just enough rain to keep the forage green and since our stocking rate is light feeding hasn't been a problem yet. The real problem here for some folks is that the ground is so thirsty it would take 6-10" in a solid deluge to get any meaningful runoff. I'm looking at borrowing a honey wagon/nurse tank used for hauling water to get water from the creek and then hook it up to a portable trough with a float valve so I can utilize the pastures where the ponds have gone dry.

Yes thats also a big problem around here all our tanks and springs are dry,I hope you have better luck hauling water to your cows than I did,does anyone know how many gallons an ole cow can drink in this TX heat ?..........good luck

It looks like the govenor of Texas would declar a state of emergency and send the National Gaurd in to help out during this drought.

Does any of you guys from Texas know if the govenor of Texas has been asked for help ?

It looks like to me they could do alot of things like transport hay from other states. They could supply water and other things. I really hate to see you guys having to pay thoes kind of prices for hay. The cost has got to be in shipping of it. I cut and bail my own hay. But i was talking to a friend of mine who just bought 95 bails 4 x 5,s good hay for $ 15 a bail and that was dilivered. Now they did not have to haul it but about 5 miles. But still yet i am sure if the govenor would ok the gaurds to haul the stuff for free. You could find hay alot cheaper than $70 and $ 90 a bail. I turned down a 150 acres that i could have cut for hay this year. Only because it was more than i felt i could handle cutting myself. But my point is i feel you guys in Texas are being taken advantage of by people profitting on your sitution. That is not right in my book.

Rookie":1vptn4dj said:
3MR":1vptn4dj said:
Rookie":1vptn4dj said:
A6gal":1vptn4dj said:
I'm not familiar with Brome/Fescue. I buy coastal or grazer. Last winter I bought some Prairie Grass hay from the feed store in large square bales. Not something we usually get around here but things have been tough and hay's been coming from where ever it can be gotten.

Things been not so good here neither.Alot of our state be really dry, I know we be not alone in that problem. Alfalfa just now came to second cut and alot of areas here may not see a third.Big squares of alfalfa(900-1000#) been sellin at $50 but may be up ta 70 or better before long.Alot of us here fertilized but didn't see enough rain afterwards ta even wash it in a bit.At $320 a ton for fertilizer that be painful. Good luck be with ya.

Is $50 a ton for Alfalfa normal for you??? is that to a broker?

Nope, a ton is 2000#, we be talkin 50$ for a 900-1000# bale.

Sorry, I should pay more attention.

Rookie":av298j45 said:
msscamp":av298j45 said:
Rookie":av298j45 said:
I had an old boy tell me that he be sendin 4x5 round bales down ta Texas by the semi load and they be sellin for $70 apiece. Can anyone down there confirm those kinda prices ? :shock: ? :shock: ? :shock: ?

A guy up here is sending alfalfa hay to Texas (to a dairy, but I don't know which one or where it's located) by the semi-load and is getting $100/ton for it.

Those alfalfa prices be in line with what we been seein here but me thinks those prices wont hold long.

Based on what I've been hearing about drought, fuel costs, fertilizer costs, etc, I'm thinking your right. :( It's shaping up to be a very rough year. I have no idea if it's true or not, but someone told us the other day that grass hay is going for in excess of 200/ton in Colorado.

Rookie":24o6h0jl said:
Why da ya think I been on the board as long as I been and got so few a posts, partly cause I be too busy to be on the net a lot, partly cause I don't be fittin in well with normal folks.

I think you fit in just fine. I've learned quite a few things from your posts and I thank you for that. :)

Stepper":2mezbg3d said:
It looks like the govenor of Texas would declar a state of emergency and send the National Gaurd in to help out during this drought.

What can the National Guard do?

Does any of you guys from Texas know if the govenor of Texas has been asked for help ?

It looks like to me they could do alot of things like transport hay from other states.

There are still the fuel, maintenance, pay for the Guardsmen, etc., to consider. Do you think the State of Texas is going to pick them up? Not likely.

They could supply water and other things.

Where are they going to get that water? I don't know if Texas has hit this point yet, but wells are being shut off in Colorado due to the drought. When the water is gone, it's gone. The only source is buying it from another state.

I really hate to see you guys having to pay thoes kind of prices for hay. The cost has got to be in shipping of it. I cut and bail my own hay. But i was talking to a friend of mine who just bought 95 bails 4 x 5,s good hay for $ 15 a bail and that was dilivered.

I hate it, too, but I disagree with you on the shipping being the source of the cost. To raise good hay in this area requires irrigation and irrigation costs - regardless of whether it is pivot or flood irrigation. Each foot of water out of the river (flood irrigation) costs so much and is only available for a certain period of time and then there is the electricity to run the pump to get it to the fields depending on one's set-up, and it takes electricity to run a pivot. Add to that the costs of fertilizer, weed control, fuel, and there is the source of the cost. Now add on trucking expense.

You could find hay alot cheaper than $70 and $ 90 a bail.

No rain = no hay unless one has an irrigated farm (provided the water table has not dropped to the point that the well is shut down or no water is available from the river). I may be wrong here, but I'm thinking that almost all of the south and a large part of the north is in severe drought conditions. Who does that leave to provide the hay?

But my point is i feel you guys in Texas are being taken advantage of by people profitting on your sitution. That is not right in my book.

I'm sure that is happening to a degree, but I don't think it's the majority that are doing that. Most of the people that raise hay are farm/ranch folk and, call me idealistic, but I don't believe that most of them would do that. Just my thoughts.

msscamp":3mvftgj2 said:
Stepper":3mvftgj2 said:

It looks like to me they could do alot of things like transport hay from other states.

There are still the fuel, maintenance, pay for the Guardsmen, etc., to consider. Do you think the State of Texas is going to pick them up? Not likely.

Where are they going to get that water? I don't know if Texas has hit this point yet, but wells are being shut off in Colorado due to the drought. When the water is gone, it's gone. The only source is buying it from another state.

I really hate to see you guys having to pay thoes kind of prices for hay. The cost has got to be in shipping of it. I cut and bail my own hay. But i was talking to a friend of mine who just bought 95 bails 4 x 5,s good hay for $ 15 a bail and that was dilivered.

I hate it, too, but I disagree with you on the shipping being the source of the cost. To raise good hay in this area requires irrigation and irrigation costs - regardless of whether it is pivot or flood irrigation. Each foot of water out of the river (flood irrigation) costs so much and is only available for a certain period of time and then there is the electricity to run the pump to get it to the fields depending on one's set-up, and it takes electricity to run a pivot. Add to that the costs of fertilizer, weed control, fuel, and there is the source of the cost. Now add on trucking expense.

No rain = no hay unless one has an irrigated farm (provided the water table has not dropped to the point that the well is shut down or no water is available from the river). I may be wrong here, but I'm thinking that almost all of the south and a large part of the north is in severe drought conditions. Who does that leave to provide the hay?

But my point is i feel you guys in Texas are being taken advantage of by people profitting on your sitution. That is not right in my book.

I'm sure that is happening to a degree, but I don't think it's the majority that are doing that. Most of the people that raise hay are farm/ranch folk and, call me idealistic, but I don't believe that most of them would do that. Just my thoughts.

Hay is going to be more expensive during a drought because there is less of it. Supply and demand, you know, that pesky Capitalism thing. Not to mention the farmer still has the same bills he had prior to the drought. Now he has less product to squeeze the same payment out of. Im sorry we all have to pay more, but put yourself in the farmers shoes, as I am sure many of you are. If it comes done to you paying more or me not paying my bills and/or loosing the farm; Im sorry, but you'r gonna have to pay more.

3MR":1e2xlgkz said:
msscamp":1e2xlgkz said:
Stepper":1e2xlgkz said:

Hay is going to be more expensive during a drought because there is less of it. Supply and demand, you know, that pesky Capitalism thing. Not to mention the farmer still has the same bills he had prior to the drought. Now he has less product to squeeze the same payment out of. Im sorry we all have to pay more, but put yourself in the farmers shoes, as I am sure many of you are. If it comes done to you paying more or me not paying my bills and/or loosing the farm; Im sorry, but you'r gonna have to pay more.

While I agree with what you're saying, I do not think it justifies price gouging.

msscamp":w4gpp8c5 said:
3MR":w4gpp8c5 said:
msscamp":w4gpp8c5 said:
Stepper":w4gpp8c5 said:

While I agree with what you're saying, I do not think it justifies price gouging.

I agree, nothing justifies taking advantage of someone. I just dont think there is as much price gouging going on as some people do.

You would have to completely control a market to efffect the overall price, even on a local level. Regardless of what people do someone is going to have to suck it up. If areas with excess shipped in hay at their normal profit margins it would be great for locals buying hay, but disasterous for locals producing hay. Commodities should be sold at what the local market where sold supports. Its just as fair for a seller to ship TO a higher priced market as it is for a buyer to purchase and ship FROM a lower priced market.

I know this isnt what you are referring to as price gouging and I agree with you completely on not taking advantage of someone just because circumstances allow you to.

I know of several counties in Kentucky thru their Stockman's associations or Farm Bureau, that gotten hay donated and shipped to that area. Have heard of several loads of grain and hay going to LA, MS and TX since last fall's hurricanes. Local farmers and truckers have donated their time, hay, grain and trucks to do this.

I know this makes a small dent in the problem, but more of it should happen.

I ain't braggin' but I found some of last year's hay that looked like it was just cut and I paid a fraction of the prices I've seen here. I feel very fortunate and blessed to have found this hay.

I wasn't albe to full my order, but I've contracted with another guy at a good price early in the year for the rest of my order.

The governor has repeatedly asked for drought assistance, but his best friend the Prez can't get us any relief - the Katrina disaster wiped us out. We were only able to get relief from the wild fires last year.

Drought causes more losses than all hurricanes, floods, fires, and tornadoes combined. I read that last year -- somewhere.

PS - If I find hay in Central Texas for less than what I've seen here, I'll post it. In fact, you can call the guy I mentioned above right now. I'm not sure if he has any available, though. He told me my order would be available in August. Brad Ely, Hearne, TX (979) 279-3118.

Latest posts