Hay goin ta Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Rookie

Reaction score
I had an old boy tell me that he be sendin 4x5 round bales down ta Texas by the semi load and they be sellin for $70 apiece. Can anyone down there confirm those kinda prices ? :shock: ? :shock: ? :shock: ?

I just purchased 2 semi loads of 5 X 6 bales for $90 a bale. I then had another hay broker I purchased hay from last fall contact me and he was selling 5 X 6 bales for $95. That price is delivered.

The feed stores are selling smaller round bales for $85 and you have to haul it yourself.

What kind of hay is it?

A6gal":2yztqw0t said:
I just purchased 2 semi loads of 5 X 6 bales for $90 a bale. I then had another hay broker I purchased hay from last fall contact me and he was selling 5 X 6 bales for $95. That price is delivered.

The feed stores are selling smaller round bales for $85 and you have to haul it yourself.

What kind of hay is it?

Mostly be Brome or brome/fescue blend, pretty good quality hay, considerin we been so dry in this area.

I'm not familiar with Brome/Fescue. I buy coastal or grazer. Last winter I bought some Prairie Grass hay from the feed store in large square bales. Not something we usually get around here but things have been tough and hay's been coming from where ever it can be gotten.

A6gal":1yt3oqol said:
I'm not familiar with Brome/Fescue. I buy coastal or grazer. Last winter I bought some Prairie Grass hay from the feed store in large square bales. Not something we usually get around here but things have been tough and hay's been coming from where ever it can be gotten.

Things been not so good here neither.Alot of our state be really dry, I know we be not alone in that problem. Alfalfa just now came to second cut and alot of areas here may not see a third.Big squares of alfalfa(900-1000#) been sellin at $50 but may be up ta 70 or better before long.Alot of us here fertilized but didn't see enough rain afterwards ta even wash it in a bit.At $320 a ton for fertilizer that be painful. Good luck be with ya.

ALACOWMAN":2og1k7f7 said:
dont see how folks can afford that kind of lick. its bad when i see hay rotting in some feilds around here

This'll be the last lick I'll be able to take. I'm feedin away all my profit. I'm culling a few more cows in the next few weeks. Then if it doesn't come a soaker and the hay on hand runs out, I'll be selling more. Won't be long till nothin's left. Lord willing, I'll see some rain sometime soon!

Aggirl: I sure hope yuoget the rain you need soon. I know who it can be. I have had 1/2 inch since April and I am feeding the first cutting of hay. If it keeps going like this I will not have enough hay to make the summer much less the winter.

Last years I sold over 3000 bale 4 X 4. This Year, there is so much hay that I am sure I won't sell a single bale. I will buy at least 150 cows. A farmer offer me to bale 100 acres for him. He cut the hay and me just bale it . He offer me to give me half of the bales to pay me. I refuse. I got too much myself.
Texan ranchers I wish you were closer to my place.

Last years I sold over 3000 bale 4 X 4. This Year, there is so much hay that I am sure I won't sell a single bale. I will buy at least 150 cows. A farmer offer me to bale 100 acres for him. He cut the hay and me just bale it . He offer me to give me half of the bales to pay me. I refuse. I got too much myself.

gendronf":1xd7dnso said:

Or more like you, closer to my place! :lol: I wouldn't mind having your problem right about now!

Rookie":nu92bxkt said:
I had an old boy tell me that he be sendin 4x5 round bales down ta Texas by the semi load and they be sellin for $70 apiece. Can anyone down there confirm those kinda prices ? :shock: ? :shock: ? :shock: ?

A guy up here is sending alfalfa hay to Texas (to a dairy, but I don't know which one or where it's located) by the semi-load and is getting $100/ton for it.

msscamp":1k1eyi03 said:
Rookie":1k1eyi03 said:

A guy up here is sending alfalfa hay to Texas (to a dairy, but I don't know which one or where it's located) by the semi-load and is getting $100/ton for it.

Those alfalfa prices be in line with what we been seein here but me thinks those prices wont hold long. Most of the best alfalfa here be piped in from western kansas where it be really dry, ths soil out there allows for alot higher protein content, most I see tests out to 17-20%, what be grown in this area tests mostly at around 13-15%.

Rookie":2tbnlujr said:
A6gal":2tbnlujr said:

Things been not so good here neither.Alot of our state be really dry, I know we be not alone in that problem. Alfalfa just now came to second cut and alot of areas here may not see a third.Big squares of alfalfa(900-1000#) been sellin at $50 but may be up ta 70 or better before long.Alot of us here fertilized but didn't see enough rain afterwards ta even wash it in a bit.At $320 a ton for fertilizer that be painful. Good luck be with ya.

Is $50 a ton for Alfalfa normal for you??? is that to a broker?

3MR":ub3ublbx said:
Rookie":ub3ublbx said:
A6gal":ub3ublbx said:

Is $50 a ton for Alfalfa normal for you??? is that to a broker?

Nope, a ton is 2000#, we be talkin 50$ for a 900-1000# bale.

hey Rookie, do you be sustaining an injury to da head? what's up with the talk? you didn't talk that way when you started here:

Rookie":1gj1gfr1 said:
I just had to throw my 2 cents in on this one. When I first got my cows I spent money and time building them a really nice loafin shed. Big, dry, roomy, you name it. They will go in to eat, but after a meal they are outta there quick. In the heat of summer they will use it for shade but they stay outside, using the walls, not inside using the perfectly good roof I sweated and bled to erect. Dead of winter you will see them standing out in an ice storm all night. My neighbor has some Holstien steers which do the same thing. Go figure. I guess maybe they just dont like the way I decorated the interior :x

Rookie":1gj1gfr1 said:
I spent some time (about 4 months) trying to improve her body score before exposing her to a bull.She seemed to be cycling regularly soI have had her with a bull for one cycle now, I dont believe she took at that time, her next cycle is in about 12 days so we'll see what happens this round.

txag":2jx438bz said:
hey Rookie, do you be sustaining an injury to da head? what's up with the talk? you didn't talk that way when you started here:

Ok, for the record. I been thru this once before. My momma was a Cajun and my daddy was a Hillbilly, made for quite an interesting combination of speakin around our place, likewise my level of education be not all that good. When I first be signed up to the board, my better half did all the typin for me. She be a lot smarter than me. But after a bit she couldn't be around always and said I need be doin it myself. I say nobody gonna like my ways and she said ya be needin ta suck it up and ta be nice with those what don't understand. So here I be. I been made fun of, called a leprechaun, got PM's accusing me a bein a "alter ego" for some one be wantin ta disrupt the board, etc, etc.Why da ya think I been on the board as long as I been and got so few a posts, partly cause I be too busy to be on the net a lot, partly cause I don't be fittin in well with normal folks. So there it be sir, no head injury, just different upbringin and more empty space up there than most folks. :lol: :oops: :lol:

Latest posts