Having a vegetarian house guest

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
My son asked if one of his girl friends could come and visit us. We agreed and then he told the sweet smelling one that she was a strict vegetarian. :shock:

This completely blew my wife's mind because she wanted to be a good hostess and serve a good meal but cooking vegetarian just was way over her head and she got really frazzled about this. After hearing her voice her concerns and seeing how upset she was becoming I told her not to worry about it and I would cook a country meal with fresh cream corn, cream 40 peas, green beans, bisquits and fresh sugar cured city ham and our guest could help herself or not help herself to whatever she wanted or didn't want.

So I went at it, a few liberal pats of butter in the cream corn with some salt and pepper, some salt pork in the peas and beans (salt pork removed once flavored properly) and the city ham pan fried with some special spices and supper was cooked.

After the meal I was left with the understanding that vegetarians are like most Christians. They aren't perfect, and some may think themselves holier than thou but the bottom line is they all sin from time to time and her finishing her third helping of ham gave confirmation to this fact as did my adding the salt pork and butter to the veggies. ;-)

dun":3ke9s3yy said:
You are a good man! Being so tolerant and accomodating and all

I might be totally wrong on this but as I see it my home is my world and it runs by my rules and I'm not going to change my very existence and my being to suit someone's life choice. With the ham, she had a choice but the peas - well .... um .... it just ain't right to cook peas without some salt pork or bacon.

backhoeboogie":3ke9s3yy said:
Maybe this gal has serious eyes on your son and didn't want to offend.

That could be but when my son gave her a tour of the kitchen and she saw all the meats and things she asked to try some. I can't help but think vegetarians dream of bacon and sausages and while no one is looking they might backslide a bit to keep these dreams real. :lol:

I hada friend (notice the word "had") whose wife was a veggi. One night we had them over for dinner. Baked ham and pinter beans. I fixed her a special plate with a pile of grass clippings. No one saw the humor except me.

Jogeephus":15p2pfgy said:
backhoeboogie":15p2pfgy said:
Maybe this gal has serious eyes on your son and didn't want to offend.

That could be but when my son gave her a tour of the kitchen and she saw all the meats and things she asked to try some. I can't help but think vegetarians dream of bacon and sausages and while no one is looking they might backslide a bit to keep these dreams real. :lol:
A version of The Jimmy Carter syndrome.
I've looked on many meats with lust. I've committed the act of lustful coveting of meat in my heart many times. PETA knows I will do this and forgives me.

:banana:

We have some new friends that are vegan's, they haven't always been and they are in no way PETA type people, he just started it and lost about 30lbs that knowone would even think he needed to lose, he just claims that he feels better than ever and says he is still doing it just to see if he can. I don't understand it but I guess whatever floats there boat.

dun":8k49ztn6 said:
I hada friend (notice the word "had") whose wife was a veggi. One night we had them over for dinner. Baked ham and pinter beans. I fixed her a special plate with a pile of grass clippings. No one saw the humor except me.
Don't see why she wasn't pleased?
:lol2: :lol2:

Like I told a vegan one time. "I'm not going to stop eating meat till I grow a rumen, and go Moo." :banana:

sim.-ang.king":1bwkfaud said:
dun":1bwkfaud said:
Don't see why she wasn't pleased?
:lol2: :lol2:

Like I told a vegan one time. "I'm not going to stop eating meat till I grow a rumen, and go Moo." :banana:
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :clap: ! That's about my thinking, I could eat nothing other than meat and be very happy.

One of my wife's good friends is a semi-vegan and has a few pretty far out left ideas but is fairly conservative for being a mainstream Californian. We knew she was a vegan but we had her and her sister(who doesn't eat poultry or dairy) and brother in law over for dinner anyway and made a halfass effort to keep the meal from being steak and eggs with a glass of milk but I was insistant on not trying to hard to appease the two sisters' politics so we used butter and eggs and stuff like that.
As it turns out, they both LOVE animal based foods but they're so allergic to most of it that they finally gave up and chose to be vegans. :( Boy did I ever feel like a big pile of crap after that one. As I recall they both had salad with no dressing and corn on the cob for dinner because that was all we had that they could eat. :help:
They felt as bad about it as we did.

cow pollinater":26osmk8d said:
One of my wife's good friends is a semi-vegan and has a few pretty far out left ideas but is fairly conservative for being a mainstream Californian. We knew she was a vegan but we had her and her sister(who doesn't eat poultry or dairy) and brother in law over for dinner anyway and made a halfass effort to keep the meal from being steak and eggs with a glass of milk but I was insistant on not trying to hard to appease the two sisters' politics so we used butter and eggs and stuff like that.
As it turns out, they both LOVE animal based foods but they're so allergic to most of it that they finally gave up and chose to be vegans. :( Boy did I ever feel like a big pile of crap after that one. As I recall they both had salad with no dressing and corn on the cob for dinner because that was all we had that they could eat. :help:
They felt as bad about it as we did.

I have a friend who is very allergic to eggs. They must really make her really sick because she is very careful not to eat anything with eggs in it. She would eat the chicken the eggs came out of. In fact I think she would ring its neck but she ain't touching the egg.

cow pollinater":15z9puko said:
One of my wife's good friends is a semi-vegan........ .

I've heard of vegetarian, and I've heard of vegan. Not sure I know what either really mean. But what the heck is semi-vegan? And if you can explain the other 2 please do. :tiphat:

john250":3mfu32rl said:
Vegans declare themselves vegan because they think it gives them some moral superiority. Don't worry. 100% of them cheat.
Probably, but the very few that get close to being true to their lost ways you can generally pick out of a line up. They're the ones with IV catheter tracks and a BCS of 1.5/5

The rest are generally ignorant of what all is actually animal products. Which can make for fun conversations.

Worked for a lady that was a vegetable-arian. However, she gladly bought us all steak diners to reward employees for hard work. I don't mind them as long as they don't try to force their opinion on me or public policy.

Commercialfarmer":7r0vm7mm said:
john250":7r0vm7mm said:
Vegans declare themselves vegan because they think it gives them some moral superiority. Don't worry. 100% of them cheat.
Probably, but the very few that get close to being true to their lost ways you can generally pick out of a line up. They're the ones with IV catheter tracks and a BCS of 1.5/5

The rest are generally ignorant of what all is actually animal products. Which can make for fun conversations.

Worked for a lady that was a vegetable-arian. However, she gladly bought us all steak diners to reward employees for hard work. I don't mind them as long as they don't try to force their opinion on me or public policy.

Have a 22 year old step daughter who became a vegan at the age of 5. Shocked her mother as well as myself but she stuck to it. She was okay with mom and I eating meat but she couldn't and wouldn't eat it. She remains a vegan today and is very healthy, looks very healthy and gave birth to a baby girl first week of this month. She looks great and doesn't force her opinion or lifestyle on anyone else.