Hauling long-distance

Help Support CattleToday:

Kenz

Reaction score
I'm don't think this post fits under "breeds," but what the heck :)

Would hauling a calf ( anywhere from 1 yr. - 8 mo.) from oklahoma to virginia be a little TOO stressful? Plus about 3-6 days at home than a trip to weigh-in? I seriously doubt this will happen, but its a very slight possibilty since we'll be out there anyways. Any opinions?

Just leave at night as soon as it starts to cool down a little.You should be along way from okie land by the time it starts getting real hot.You running on I-40? You might shake him to death. It's been over a 100 the last few days out here,104 to 106 the last three.

Thought I should add.
If it's a fat show calf or been in a cool room,I don't know what you should do?

We sent a weaned bull calf from Okla to VA a couple of years ago. ...all alone in a big cattle truck. He did fine. However, it was in
October as I recall.

Guess I should've added the date :oops: It would be at the very end of October, so I don't think heat would be too much of an issue.

You running on I-40? You might shake him to death.

That's definitly a possibility :help: Yup, the Highway 40 blues

Kenz":1x9m4fv8 said:
Guess I should've added the date :oops: It would be at the very end of October, so I don't think heat would be too much of an issue.

You running on I-40? You might shake him to death.

That's definitly a possibility :help: Yup, the Highway 40 blues

Just for what it is worth. I would recommend your going I-44 to St. Louis, and I-64 to Virginia. Try to get at least one stop for rest and water. Deep bedding will help 'soften' the load some.

DOC HARRIS

Kenz":3gygiv1j said:
Would hauling a calf ( anywhere from 1 yr. - 8 mo.) from oklahoma to virginia be a little TOO stressful? Plus about 3-6 days at home than a trip to weigh-in?

That is going to depend entirely on the knowledge and experience of your hauler. We've shipped cattle via stockliner from Wyoming to California, from Wyoming to Illinois, and personally hauled cattle from Wyoming to Texas, and Wyoming to Arizona with little to no ill side-effects. Provided whoever is hauling this calf knows what he/she is doing, the stress will be reduced greatly and the calf should come through it just fine.

That is going to depend entirely on the knowledge and experience of your hauler.

We would be hauling him personally in a 14 ft. stock trailer. I'd be able to keep an eye on him and he'd get plenty of stops for rest and water.

Thanks for the advice everybody! :)

Get some wind on him and he will ride (Take off and don't worry about stopping until you get tired).

Seriously, cattle are hauled long distances all the time (Florida and Georgia to Texas/Oklahoma panhandle). Vann-Roach Cattle Co. used to load calves at Ft. Worth and they never slowed down until they got to Bakersfield,California area.