Hauling Calves - Ohiosteve I need your creative mind.

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Do any of yall have anything that homemade that you can either haul calves with a 4 wheeler or truck. I have a stock trailer and hate to hook it up to go buy 2 small calves or 1. I was thinking of making a frame on my 5x10 utility trailer where I could haul a couple or 1 with the ranger or even if I went to buy 1 small calf from a private sale I don't have to hook to the big stock trailer. Do any of yall have anything like that or do you think it could be done with a 5x10 trailer with a wood frame built on it that's removable?

Ex large wire dog cage works good in a pickup. You could get some wire cow panels and make sides for your little trailer. I see alot of people hauling goats and alpacas that way.

M5farm":3i14xxsh said:
Ex large wire dog cage works good in a pickup. You could get some wire cow panels and make sides for your little trailer. I see alot of people hauling goats and alpacas that way.

That's a thought and a good one too. My idea was putting 4 -4x4's and either bolding to the angle iron corners or using big u bolts and bolt it to the trailer

I used a mini-van to haul 4 Jersey calves home several years ago. It worked great!
I am not a married man at the moment. I won't go into details on that one.

Kingfisher":2k1u4dv6 said:
We have a cage made from bull panels that fits in the bed of a pickup to haul goats,sheep and calves. Works fine.

That's a good idea too but picking those suckers up aint fun.

ohiosteve":2k1u4dv6 said:
I used a mini-van to haul 4 Jersey calves home several years ago. It worked great!

:lol2: That mini van carpeting was ruined after that lol

skyhightree1":1c4zza8n said:
Kingfisher":1c4zza8n said:
We have a cage made from bull panels that fits in the bed of a pickup to haul goats,sheep and calves. Works fine.

That's a good idea too but picking those suckers up aint fun.

ohiosteve":1c4zza8n said:

:lol2: That mini van carpeting was ruined after that lol
It was fun though! We loved those Jerseys.

I have a stock rack on my 20 foot flatdeck trailer.. works really slick, bolts down with 6 3/8th bolts, push it on or off with the FEL.. I get 16 weaner calves in there pretty easily, all you'd need is a smaller version.. I think mine is (mostly) made of 16ga 1x2 square tubing with some 1/2" plywood sides.

I used to haul everything on an eight foot pickup with cattle racks. I've had folks come get them with a large dog crate or just a cover top on their pickup.

fitz

images

problem solved

Ohio do you still fool with those jerseys?
Fitz my family used to haul pigs that way and an occasional cow

I guess I could put sides on my truck but have no ramp to get lets say a 300lb calf up in there which is why I prefer to use something low like a utility trailer. M5 where did you get the pic? that is hilarious.

you can build a steel calf cage that fits in the back of your truck to bring baby calves home from the sale.

LMAO funny as crap m5 .. I may build a cage on my 5x10 trailer that way I can move calves around the farm with my ranger.

Sky you don't need a ramp to load in back of truck. Growing up my dad was always to cheap to buy a stock trailer. He had a f250 with 8 ft bed with cattle racks. We would load up to around 600 lb calves in the back of that they would jump right in. Not the easiest thing or even the safest but it worked for us until he finally broke down and bought a trailer.

pricefarm":2xdkeeu4 said:
Sky you don't need a ramp to load in back of truck. Growing up my dad was always to cheap to buy a stock trailer. He had a f250 with 8 ft bed with cattle racks. We would load up to around 600 lb calves in the back of that they would jump right in. Not the easiest thing or even the safest but it worked for us until he finally broke down and bought a trailer.

I gotcha... mine wont jump they only climb :lol2:

I unloaded some wood off my trailer and left it in the pasture and he read my mind because I was thinking how many calves could I hold on this. He is a 3wt calf so I could stick 5 on there and be good id say.

ResizedImage_1414106581070_zps3433a6f8.jpg

Anything you put in the bed of the truck will need a high enough ramp to get in or be hand carried. I would look at getting a small 1-2 horse trailer. Something used that may need a little work to make it a cheap purchase.

Latest posts