Hauling animals

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
As many of you know I am retired but deliver new cattle and horse trailers all over the US. I don't mind driving or pulling a trailer obviously. I have started getting calls from people asking if I would drive 250 miles to pick up 1 calf or 5 Pigs or other odd loads like that. Most are very nice people trying to get closer to being self sufficient. Most are moving from the populated areas of the north.
With current fuel prices I feel bad telling a person it will cost $600 to pick it 1 calf or $750 to pick up a few heritage Pigs.
Thoughts!

I have always charged less per loaded mile than I should. I was $2/loaded mile. With current fuel costs six wks ago I went to $3. I asked my Tyson buyer last week what the current price should be, he said $4.25.

I have always charged less per loaded mile than I should. I was $2/loaded mile. With current fuel costs six wks ago I went to $3. I asked my Tyson buyer last week what the current price should be, he said $4.25.
I quoted $3 a mile for a couple of animals and they jumped on it. 28 ft trailer hauling calves here gets 4.50 now.

I have done a good bit of this over the years and still do. The problem with loaded mile figuring is that you are usually loaded less than half the time. Truck still burns fuel empty and has wear and tear. You gotta figure round trip costs and give the price on that unless you are getting a lot where you haul both ways. Dealing with a commercial shipper is cheaper but often times not an option or has it's own obstacles. All you can do is price it where you make money. If they bite they bite if not keep fishing. No sense working for nothing.

As many of you know I am retired but deliver new cattle and horse trailers all over the US. I don't mind driving or pulling a trailer obviously. I have started getting calls from people asking if I would drive 250 miles to pick up 1 calf or 5 Pigs or other odd loads like that. Most are very nice people trying to get closer to being self sufficient. Most are moving from the populated areas of the north.
With current fuel prices I feel bad telling a person it will cost $600 to pick it 1 calf or $750 to pick up a few heritage Pigs.
Thoughts!
Don't feel too bad about it. Costs are ridiculous, you have to charge ridiculous prices. If you feel the folks you're hauling for don't have big money to burn, consider trading some of it out if you trust them that far.

Thoughts!
Assuming 500 miles round trip and 10mpg hauling a trailer/load, est fuel cost is $250-$300 depending on gas vs diesel. Plus wear and tear on vehicle, insurance, etc and the 9+|- hours of your time. When you add the profit and overhead to the direct cost of the trip (fuel, tolls, etc) and your price may be on the low side. Esp your 1 animal quote.

I would charge whatever you feel is a fair rate and not feel bad about it. That being said, I always feel bad about what I think is a fair rate so just tell people I don't have time.

I've got a friend that won't buy a cattle trailer because he thinks they're to high and he wouldn't use it enough. He also complains about paying people to hual for him. Some people can't be pleased and I wouldn't feel bad if they said you was too high.

Latest posts