Has this ever happened to you

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
The other day I thought my young heiffer was dead. She was inside the bale feeder upside down. Her legs were sticking straight up into the air and she was not moving. I took a closer look and saw her head moving. I yelled for help and kept her from not moving. Finally two of my workers arrived and helped me get her out uninjured. I was very happy she was ok.

No, that has never happened here that I know of. I did have a cow get in a ring and could not get out, but she was not upside down and there was no hay in the ring.

I have a bull that's about 5 months old that just loves to get in the hay ring. He just can't seem to figure out how to get back out. Every couple of evenings, there's the little rascal on top of the hay roll (eating) and waiting for me to let him out.

It's going to be good to eat him. :D

lancemart":2ivj2nrl said:
The other day I thought my young heiffer was dead. She was inside the bale feeder upside down. Her legs were sticking straight up into the air and she was not moving. I took a closer look and saw her head moving. I yelled for help and kept her from not moving. Finally two of my workers arrived and helped me get her out uninjured. I was very happy she was ok.
I had this happene although our steer was upside down in a 100 gallon water tank

ive had it happen before their aways knocking each other around and bullie'in each other. one probably Tboned her ......their like turtles when on their back. she might have fought to get up for awhile and give up

Had a heifer get stuck upside down in a feed trough, another one knocked her in there. Neighbor had a huge fleckvieh cow about 10 years ago that would get her head stuck in the last rung of the hay rings before the vertical joint and drag the ring around the field until we cut her out of it. She was pretty high-strung, had to tie the ring to two pickups and cut her out with a hacksaw. After the second time doing this we modified all the hayrings.

cfpinz

We had a 3/4 Hereford 1/4 Charolais cow that went completely lunatic nuts bawling, snorting, and screaming and just acting completely berserk. (This was before Mad Cow disease or we would have really gotten scared). We figured her calf must be dead so rode all over the place looking. Found nothing. No carcass no calf. No calf outside the fence. No buzzards, just nothing. The cow kept coming up to the barn. My Grandfather was a little quicker on the uptake than me so we began searching the hay barn. Eventually we found where the ~300 pound calf had apparently gotten out and gotten into the hay barn. Unfortunately for her instead of peacefully grazing on the edge of the stacked roll bales she got between the rolls and whatever she did apparently was enough to bring an 800 pound roll crashing down on her flattening her in the hay barn. All we saw was the back foot sticking out, we grabbed a hay bar and rolled the rolls out of the way (probably can't do that with today's tight core rolles). Shockingly the Pinzgauer cross calf was still alive.....albeit exhausted and dehydrated. We dreanched her full of water and Coca-cola then barned her in a pen with her mother. In a couple of days we turned both loose happy and healthy.

We dreanched her full of water and Coca-cola

I've never heard of anyone drenching with Coca Cola. Why Coke? I would never use pepsi of course.

I found a dead beaver the other day who had gotten caught in a snag and drowned.

Latest posts