Has anyone tried this

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw that on another site and I'm tempted to try it. Caught the bulls yesterday, time to pull 'em off and move to another pasture. Except they were destroying the portable corral - as in, I'm not sure it will fold up now the panels are so bent - and I let them go. Will try again later this week but I seriously was thinking about spraying them with vinegar.

So is the theory that they all smell the same and that's why they don't fight?
How long does it last? We throw all the bulls together in the fall. They fight, get a pecking order, then come the first warm day in winter they have a real knock down drag out. After they've been together for 3months.

I have used Xylazine when co-mingling mrkt bulls that are returning to a feed lot before going to slaughter. That slows them down.

My Hereford bull only fought my angus once when I first unloaded him..beat the angus hands down..but the angus has no quit in him .,they'll keep fighting win or lose..I think the angus is like rocky if I can't beat him, I'll just tire him out,,till he submits..

ALACOWMAN said:
My Hereford bull only fought my angus once when I first unloaded him..beat the angus hands down..but the angus has no quit in him .,they'll keep fighting win or lose..I think the angus is like rocky if I can't beat him, I'll just tire him out,,till he submits..

Welcome to my world. Bulls are down a good 200-300 lbs after working all summer but still have the energy to fight. Checked the morning after moving bulls 2 years ago. Dick is in the road (slept in the ditch all night), fence is destroyed about .25 miles down & t-posts broken. 6 hours later fence is fixed, he's back in, fighting resumed & Rod ended up with a stifle injury that sent him to the sale barn.

TCRanch said:
ALACOWMAN said:

Welcome to my world. Bulls are down a good 200-300 lbs after working all summer but still have the energy to fight. Checked the morning after moving bulls 2 years ago. Dick is in the road (slept in the ditch all night), fence is destroyed about .25 miles down & t-posts broken. 6 hours later fence is fixed, he's back in, fighting resumed & Rod ended up with a stifle injury that sent him to the sale barn.

Your bulls were named Dick Rod? :lol2: :clap: :lol2: That's awesome!

SBMF 2015 said:
TCRanch said:
ALACOWMAN said:

Your bulls were named Dick Rod? :lol2: :clap: :lol2: That's awesome!

And Johnson, Woody, Willy, Peter, MoLester . . . . . the implication is a little salty but we can still refer to them by name in polite company. :lol: :hide:

MurraysMutts said:
Big sexy and Hank had to show each other they were both men. Lasted about a couple hours. Now they just play a lil. Ol Big Sexy put him in his place real fast.

Yeah, generally doesn't last long. And eventually segues into a bromance. Ewee - they're snuggling!

Lmao! Ikr?
They all seem the same dont they?
It's funny, the lil black steer behind the hereford, follows him everywhere.
Remember the 2 cartoon dogs? I think the big ones name was spike. And the lil one that always hung out with him. Yeah.... that's those two

Unfortunately some bulls are pardon the expression born with a chip on their shoulder & persistently attempt to prove their dominance. Some of it can be attributed to high libido, the rest, stupidity.

76 Bar said:
Unfortunately some bulls are pardon the expression born with a chip on their shoulder & persistently attempt to prove their dominance. Some of it can be attributed to high libido, the rest, stupidity.
Just like some people.

TCRanch said:
MurraysMutts said:
Big sexy and Hank had to show each other they were both men. Lasted about a couple hours. Now they just play a lil. Ol Big Sexy put him in his place real fast.

Yeah, generally doesn't last long. And eventually segues into a bromance. Ewee - they're snuggling!

The worst bull fight I've seen was two mature bulls we had. A Char and a Red Angus. It had been raining and the lots were 10" deep mud . They got together one night and we didn't find them until the next morning. Both were the color of mud nose to tail. Both had their eyes swollen shut, ears swollen. One was standing by the wind mill and the other one was fifty yds away by the feed bunks. Both talking dirty to each other, but no one willing the right any more.

Our old butcher used to tell me stories about butchering bulls that had ruptured their spline from fighting.

Never tried the vinegar. But if I had a Hereford bull that looked like that I'd shoot anything that looked sideways at him. He looks like a fine animal to me.

Nothing likes to fight more than an angus bull. Finaly got rid of them all and my problems have all but went away.

Just pulled 16 high percentage gelbvieh bulls off cows 3 weeks ago. Put them all together and after a little pushing and a lot of "trash talk" they are all getting along well

We have bull pens to move the boys into after breeding season, if we have mor bulls than pens we will put a long yearling in with an older bull. Usually works out well the yearling jousts does enough to make sure the older bull knows he is a bull but isn't very serious about the fight. We did have one that had a libido like a Jersey and he didn't care how big the other bull was he was going to fight that one got ugly.

Gizmom

Latest posts