Has anyone heard of Square Meater cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
These are a small Murray Grey breed being bred in Australia. They are about the same or maybe just a tiny bit bigger than Australian Lowline cattle. They were developed by a man by the name of Rick Pisaturo. This man had one of the best Shorthorn herds in Australia and then a high profile Charolais herd. He developed a very good breed called a Mandalong Special. These are a big straw coloured breed that has a mix of Brahman,Charolais,Chianina and British White. It is now stablized. He has recently promoted another breed called Mandalong Tropicana. These were promoted at Beef 2006 in Rockhampton.

We have mini-Herefords, mini-Zebus, mini-Jerseys, Lowline Angus, why not miniature Murray Greys??? My only problem with the minis is that for some of them getting them smaller is the primary goal of the breeding process. Twenty ++years ago we still had some aged frame score 1 and 2 cows in the herd. IF grass fed beef ever takes off (and it is getting a lot of press on cooking shows and women's magazines), we are going to want to have some of those 1960s era bloodlines back. If the minis were preserving those old bloodlines for when (and if) that day comes that would be great,.....however when I see frame 000 and 0000 cattle being bred too me they are catering towards petting zoos and have no real commercial applications.

I agree with you. It still baffles me the use of some of the miniature type breeds. One breed that I would have if I had to have a small breed would be Lowline. They are beefy and look like a beef animal. But I would rather have 6 Charolais or South Devon or any other big breed,than 12 minis. The return on weight would have to be superior than the minis. The only advantage could be if you have a niche market for their small cuts of meat.

You have to hand it to Rick Pisaturo, he's made a bit of headway in the Aussie beef industry. I really like his Mandalong Specials. But I'm yet to see a M. Tropicana, what do you think of them?
Square Meaters aren't bad but again, they're only another novelty breed for hobby farmers and don't really serve a purpose in the wider world of the beef industry, in my opinion.

Killala":6g99lvv4 said:
You have to hand it to Rick Pisaturo, he's made a bit of headway in the Aussie beef industry. I really like his Mandalong Specials. But I'm yet to see a M. Tropicana, what do you think of them?
Square Meaters aren't bad but again, they're only another novelty breed for hobby farmers and don't really serve a purpose in the wider world of the beef industry, in my opinion.

I have seen Tropicana cattle, and they are impressive,there was a sale in QLD not long ago, They are simmilar to Droughtmasters in apearance maybe a bit lighter in colour. I wonder if we need another bos-indicus composite breed of cattle for north QLD/NSW. ;-)

I don't think you'll see the square meaters getting smaller over time. As I understand it they have very strict requirements on frame size with an upper and lower limit.

Just goes to show that most anyone can develop a solution to a perceived problem and profit from it.

dun

I know of Square Meaters, as I am from Australia, they've done quite well on the show circuit this year.

Latest posts