Has anyone had this problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

birdog

Reaction score
I'm not sure how to ask this question. I have 9 second calf heifers due to calf. The one to calf 1st, last year in January appeared to be passing her mucus plug the second week in January this year and still no calf. The others have since passed their plugs and still no calves from any of them. How long can it take from the time they pass their plugs until they calf? I have had one take as long as a month before but all of them seem to be doing this. It has been almost 2 week since the last one passed her plug. Could it be a vitamin or mineral problem or something else? They all calved unassisted last year without any problems and raised very healthy calves and seemed to breed back on time. Brangus cows bred to same beefmaster bull as last year.

it probably wasnt a mucus plug. just some other kind of goo. dont ask me how it gets out past the mucous plug though. lol.

i have seen beefmasters ooze what looks similar to a mucous plug as much as 2-3 months prior to calving before.

birdog":1iyj6asc said:
I'm not sure how to ask this question. I have 9 second calf heifers due to calf. The one to calf 1st, last year in January appeared to be passing her mucus plug the second week in January this year and still no calf. The others have since passed their plugs and still no calves from any of them. How long can it take from the time they pass their plugs until they calf? I have had one take as long as a month before but all of them seem to be doing this. It has been almost 2 week since the last one passed her plug. Could it be a vitamin or mineral problem or something else? They all calved unassisted last year without any problems and raised very healthy calves and seemed to breed back on time. Brangus cows bred to same beefmaster bull as last year.

birdog, Just be patient. They'll come when they're ready. This slime business is not an exact science as some would have you believe. Keep an eye on them but not too close; that'll drive you nuts. JMHO

It may not be the mucus plug. Our cows do what we call 'gooping' 3-4 weeks before they calve. We will periodically see slimy strings hanging off their back ends or tails. It helps narrow down the expected calving date, but don't hold your breath, it could be a while yet.

Thanks to all for your replies. They seem to be just fine, I'm just a little anxious to get the calves on the ground and wanted to know if I should be worried. Thanks

Some of my cows have mucus from six months and on, others will be dry right up until a couple of hours before birth. I've never yet identified the plug.

Do you have due dates or calves yet?

Putangitangi":3np3bkhl said:
Some of my cows have mucus from six months and on, others will be dry right up until a couple of hours before birth. I've never yet identified the plug.

Do you have due dates or calves yet?
I'm sure glad to hear you say that! I have been raising cattle for over 35 years, and I can't say for sure I COULD ID the cirvical plug. And, yes, some start "sliming" from 6 months on and others stay dry. The "plug" is supposed to be thicker, but it can happen anywhere from a week to hours prior to calving.

I just go by the "stickeyness" of the mucus. Real sticky then it's not the plug. Doesn't stick to her then I bet it is the plug and move her to the calving pen.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

We had something similar happen to us recently. One of our first calf heifers started "loosening" up in the back end. Saw a slimy string hanging down and got excited. We put her in the pen and waited, and waited, and waited. She never bagged up and after 2 weeks we kicked her back out.

We are still waiting.....

Latest posts