Has anybody else?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alejandro, I seem to have ruffled your feathers or insulted you, certainly without intending to do so. I was merely responding to D. R. Cattle's question regarding the size of all the Continental (exotic) animals you are using and whether or not they fit in with current (American) feedlot demands.

Perhaps the article to which I referred was just flat out wrong, but a year or two ago there was a fairly lengthy article in The Cattleman magazine (put out by the Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raiser's Association) which reported on the differences between the Mexican and American consumer preferences. The article indicated that, generally speaking, Mexican consumers are much less likely than Americans to demand the highly marbled (fatty??) cuts of beef like T-bones, ribeyes, etc. and that they in fact preferred the leaner (more healthy??) cuts of meat. If that is the case then the use of large, Continental and/or "exotic" animals (as opposed to British breeds) would seem to make a lot of sense if someone wanted to sell to the Mexican market. Given your geographic location, I thought your program was ideally suited to your apparent market. I see nothing offensive in these, and my earlier, comments --- but please accept my apologies if you in fact were offended. Arnold Ziffle

I misunderstood your post, I apologize.

I will read the article in the Cattlemen magazine it appeared, I have a subscription to it since years ago.

As general Info.

Isn't that we don't eat highly marble cuts, but in Mexico we aren't in the need to produce or to raise English breeds (backfat to support cold weather), even in the Northwest part of our country where we have the coldest temperatures, maybe that's the real reason they say we prefer leaner meat, eventhough we have a lot of English breeds breeders, even myself, I use to bred Shorthorns, Herefords and Salers bulls to service my comercial herd, we mainly raise the Brahman composite of these English breeds.

Anonymous":3ke9x2fe said:
Alejandro, I seem to have ruffled your feathers or insulted you, certainly without intending to do so. I was merely responding to D. R. Cattle's question regarding the size of all the Continental (exotic) animals you are using and whether or not they fit in with current (American) feedlot demands.

Perhaps the article to which I referred was just flat out wrong, but a year or two ago there was a fairly lengthy article in The Cattleman magazine (put out by the Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raiser's Association) which reported on the differences between the Mexican and American consumer preferences. The article indicated that, generally speaking, Mexican consumers are much less likely than Americans to demand the highly marbled (fatty??) cuts of beef like T-bones, ribeyes, etc. and that they in fact preferred the leaner (more healthy??) cuts of meat. If that is the case then the use of large, Continental and/or "exotic" animals (as opposed to British breeds) would seem to make a lot of sense if someone wanted to sell to the Mexican market. Given your geographic location, I thought your program was ideally suited to your apparent market. I see nothing offensive in these, and my earlier, comments --- but please accept my apologies if you in fact were offended. Arnold Ziffle

Anonymous":3tgj6o2q said:

I read that article and agree with your comments about it. It said that Mexico and Mexican communities here in the US were good markets for leaner cuts of meat that aren't popular with the general US consumer. There's a market for everything we produce. There's just a difference in price. I heard a lady from the Meat Export Federation (MFE) speak several years ago. It's amazing what they sell at good prices to export markets and those sales add value to our cattle.

Anonymous said:
Why would you want to add holstein into the bloodlines? Holstein steers finish out heavy and slow, their structure is huge, they throw big calves, and besides, any trait you want to get from a holstein, you can get from other beef breeds and come out with a much better animal. Anytime you add holstein into a beef herd your outcome is never great. I am not surprised at all that this "breed" hasn't become popular.
Hey anonymous Have you heard of Hay's Converter.HAs 2 breeds of dairy cow crossed in with it and is one of the most expensive breeds out there. What do you have to say about that.

It only prooves that Barnum was right

dun

Roy E. Mosley Jr.":t7h63dwe said:
Anonymous":t7h63dwe said:
Why would you want to add holstein into the bloodlines? Holstein steers finish out heavy and slow, their structure is huge, they throw big calves, and besides, any trait you want to get from a holstein, you can get from other beef breeds and come out with a much better animal. Anytime you add holstein into a beef herd your outcome is never great. I am not surprised at all that this "breed" hasn't become popular.
Hey anonymous Have you heard of Hay's Converter.HAs 2 breeds of dairy cow crossed in with it and is one of the most expensive breeds out there. What do you have to say about that.

Yeah, they have 2 dairy breeds in them, that's exactly why they are expensive....they eat a ton of feed and they aren't the quality that pure beef cattle are.
Was talking to the vet the other day as he was pregnancy checking cows. He runs his own beef herd on the side and he said the idea of putting dairy cows in a beef herd for commercial purposes has no logical reasoning whatsoever.

Anonymous":3ehtizmb said:
Yeah, they have 2 dairy breeds in them, that's exactly why they are expensive....they eat a ton of feed and they aren't the quality that pure beef cattle are.
Was talking to the vet the other day as he was pregnancy checking cows. He runs his own beef herd on the side and he said the idea of putting dairy cows in a beef herd for commercial purposes has no logical reasoning whatsoever.
How can a person expect to make beef animals out of predominately dairy breeds. Makes as much sense as using Angus and Hereford cows in a dairy.

la4angus":2cq5ooau said:
Anonymous":2cq5ooau said:
How can a person expect to make beef animals out of predominately dairy breeds. Makes as much sense as using Angus and Hereford cows in a dairy.

I have seen angus cows in dairy herds and they gave more milk than some of the holsteins.

PATB":2qao81hl said:
la4angus":2qao81hl said:
Anonymous":2qao81hl said:

I have seen angus cows in dairy herds and they gave more milk than some of the holsteins.
That means that these dairys probaly needs different management.

la4angus":ie4j5mft said:
PATB":ie4j5mft said:
la4angus":ie4j5mft said:
Anonymous":ie4j5mft said:

That means that these dairys probaly needs different management.

I never said these were quality dairies or under good management.

Just stick with a Angus, Hereford and Gelbvieh cross, and make lots of money. Forget about all these off the wall breeds. Produce something the feedlots and the consumer want.

Roy E. Mosley Jr.":rivxsyrh said:
Are you afriad that they might start being worth more than your angus(which in some places they already are)?
What a Crock of______ :roll: :cry: :p :roll:

Latest posts