Harvestor vs Resource

Help Support CattleToday:

The birth weight EPD steers some away from Harvester myself included so we don't have any of his calves on the ground. We have our first Resource calves on the ground this year but can't offer much of an opinion at this point they aren't jumping out at me at this point. You know how you can be riding through the pasture and a calf will just make you stop to look you can tell it is going to be a good one. That hasn't happened with the Resource calves that doesn't mean they won't be really good later on they just aren't all that impressive as new borns.

Gizmom

We got some free Harvestor semen so I used in on a couple cows just to see what they are like. I have liked the Resource calves I have seen but haven't seen many that were under a year old.

I really really like most all of the Harvestor offspring I've seen but just can't get over
the birth weights.....don't think I could sell the offspring with those birth weights but
Kelly breed a whole bunch of them the last couple of years ( maybe he knows something we
don't about birth weights epd's going forward or how people will start viewing them). Have you
looked at SAV International. Good looking Harvestor son.

I think what he knows is , folks are sick and tired of little ole 62-65 lb calves , survival rate in those calves under 75lb is considerable less than those over according to a article i read just the other day, as for me , I am sick of hearing the words Calving Ease, give me an 85 lb calf antime on my mature cows, I can always find a heifer bull to use on the few heifers I breed each year, the entire angus sire book dont need to be Calving ease, they better get focused on getting thier calves to grow or the breed is in trouble,

I agree, too small isn't good either, especially in colder weather. A 65 lb calve will go "down hill" a lot faster then a strong 85 lb'e in sub-zero temps.

Dont know anything about the 2 bulls mentioned but just bought some 9969 embryos that will go in Monday the BW dosent bother me if i am lucky and get heifers I will be happy, but know if there bulls they will be hard to sell. Most of the info around here comes from the extension agents and there bosses preach low BW or loose alot of animals. thats all most folks hear which causes alot of dinks and giving up pounds on mature cattle.

bse":yavdjc3l said:
Dont know anything about the 2 bulls mentioned but just bought some 9969 embryos that will go in Monday the BW dosent bother me if i am lucky and get heifers I will be happy, but know if there bulls they will be hard to sell. Most of the info around here comes from the extension agents and there bosses preach low BW or loose alot of animals. thats all most folks hear which causes alot of dinks and giving up pounds on mature cattle.

Most folks seem to forget that a +6 BW angus is still easier calving than a lot of breeds. There is a stigma about BW epds that it is hard to get the farmer crowd over.

polledbull":i1q5otn0 said:
I think what he knows is , folks are sick and tired of little ole 62-65 lb calves , survival rate in those calves under 75lb is considerable less than those over according to a article i read just the other day, as for me , I am sick of hearing the words Calving Ease, give me an 85 lb calf antime on my mature cows, I can always find a heifer bull to use on the few heifers I breed each year, the entire angus sire book dont need to be Calving ease, they better get focused on getting thier calves to grow or the breed is in trouble,

I agree completely..... I had a SimAngus heifer back in January that weighed 52 lbs.....
She's got great confirmation and pedigree but it just takes them too long to catch up
to an 85-87 lbs new born calf (as well as the survival concerns)

Latest posts