Hardware?

Help Support CattleToday:

Have you taken her temp? And is she walking funny? Not limping, but with an uneven gait? I recently had a cow that was walking funny, on the fringe of the herd, smelly diarrhea even though she wasn't eating much and her back looked a little runched. Temp was 103.6. Took her to the vet and his initial assessment was anaplasmosis (walking funny because it's neurological) and treated with LA300. BTW she wasn't jaundice but the other symptoms added up. But he took blood and sent it in to test for anaplas & BLV. Results were positive for BLV. Dang it!!!!

Anyway, just throwing out anaplasmosis as another possibility. And as long as you're drawing blood . . . .

Have you taken her temp? And is she walking funny? Not limping, but with an uneven gait? I recently had a cow that was walking funny, on the fringe of the herd, smelly diarrhea even though she wasn't eating much and her back looked a little runched. Temp was 103.6. Took her to the vet and his initial assessment was anaplasmosis (walking funny because it's neurological) and treated with LA300. BTW she wasn't jaundice but the other symptoms added up. But he took blood and sent it in to test for anaplas & BLV. Results were positive for BLV. Dang it!!!!

Anyway, just throwing out anaplasmosis as another possibility. And as long as you're drawing blood . . . .
You have a closed herd. How the heck did you get BLV??

A number of years ago, the NY Ag & Mkt had a program, where they paid for all or a portion of testing for Johnes, Leukosis, and ?? (a 3rd one). I did the program for a number of years and was certified FREE, but quit doing it.

You have a closed herd. How the heck did you get BLV??
Vector transmission. Had another BLV a few years ago. Yes, I have a closed herd and haven't bought a cow since our original 33 breds in 2009, but until last year, we shared a fence with a neighbor that had neglected cattle. This was one of his cows. I texted the pic to him, and he said she had cancer (and when she died, the carcass was just left maybe 100 yards from our fence).IMG_20190803_101054389.jpg

I read an article once that said nearly 40% of beef herds tested in the US have BLV, and only 5% of those infected ever show clinical signs.
If I recall correctly, Lucky P either quoted that or included the link.

I kind of equate it to Mr. TC with no clinical signs of leukemia; you can't tell just by looking at him.

I'll be honest, my neighbor came by while I had them caught up. Before I could even get her in the chute, i told him what i was doing. . He told me I was worrying too much and she didn't look sick to him. His thoughts were that she's putting everything into milk and maybe at the bottom of the pecking order. It made sense to me, all the 3 year olds are in a bit less condition than I normally see, but she is thinner than the rest. Thinking back, her dam was always pretty thin come weaning time.

@MurraysMutts - I normally use too many pictures 😆. I will get some of her today though.

@simme - I used Noromectin. It's what I had on hand. She's not been wormed til this year, hadn't seem the need to.

I have been reading up on Jonnes a good bit, and they aren't real contagious til stage 3 or 4 of I understood it. Her calf is in fine shape, that also made me think it probably isn't jonnes. I'm getting a couple protein tubs today to see if that helps her out. Her backside is a bit dirty but didn't have a terrible smell or anything that I could notice.

No ribs showing or anything.

I should have gotten a manure sample. And will just to ease my mind. Reading thru this again I'm kind of worried again. Lol.

@kenny thomas - she probably will be beef this year if she can put the weight back on.

Black #49.

How's the big gutted chocolate bull look to yall after 5 weeks on some feed?

Attachments

• 20240103_135225.jpg
    20240103_135225.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240103_135314.jpg
    20240103_135314.jpg
    613.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240103_135612.jpg
    20240103_135612.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240103_140223.jpg
    20240103_140223.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240103_135536.jpg
    20240103_135536.jpg
    640 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
There are some photos in this link: https://joh
There are some photos in this link: https://johnes.org/johnes-disease-a-to-z/

The cows in those pictures do not seem to be in terrible condition to me (not Johnnes looking to me).

nes.org/johnes-disease-a-to-z/

The cows in those pictures do not seem to be in terrible condition to me (not Johnnes looking to me).

Definitely not that bad. If she continues to not gain some condition. I will get her checked out.

I do think a fecal analysis is a good idea. And something I'll do in the next few days. Her backside is dirtier than it should be. They've been lacking protein, certainly not an excess.

@ClinchValley86 Study up a little on the internet about Johne's in cattle. There are progressive stages of the condition. There is a blood test used as a screening tool in the earlier stages. There is also a fecal PCR test that looks for active shedding in the manure in the later stages which means positive. A negative fecal test would occur in an infected animal that has not yet reached the shedding stage, even though the animal is positive. The blood test for screening looks for level

Thanks, means a lot. He's a good back up bull I think. Didn't wanna run the Simme bull down too bad.
Dont you have another extra in the lot?

Latest posts