hardware disease

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Didn't want to hi jack "dead bull" thread, I'm thinking that hardware disease is usally an illness that takes a while to kill the animal, not a suddenly found dead thing. Also isn't couple of the signs of hardware a roach back and weight lose? Meaning, when you walk up to a animal with the late stages of hardware isn't it obvious there is a big problem? It's not a case of my bull is in breeding condition and today he's dead of hardware. Not trying to point fingers at anyone, just looking for clarifacation.

Thanks for the help.
Alan

Typically hardware takes a while to kil and yes you would expect to see signs of it before it killed them. I suppose it would be possible to pick up a piece of wire and have it guickly penetrate the heart but that would be a real long shot (my opinion).
Picking up trash while grazing isn;t ver likely either. If it's a piece big enough that it wouldn;t have worked it's way to ground level the cow would probably spit it all out once she felt the wire. The longest pice of wire I can remember seeing on a magnet when we butchred was about 3 inches long. Hay baled using wire is the main culprit, I've seen small nails but 99% of the stuff looked like old baling wire. Just my experience.

Alan, I agree. The ones I have seen loose weight, and usually have a big brisket which in advanced cases looks big all the way under the neck to the jaw.

Latest posts