Hanging Weight vs. What You Take Home

Help Support CattleToday:

Rustler9":1q361ybt said:
We just got our meat back from the butcher last week. Live weight was 922 lbs, hanging weight was 569 lbs. I don't know what the total weight was after it was processed and packaged. We were very pleased, there was alot of meat. This was a 3/4 Longhorn, 1/4 Beefalo.

Rustler, most of you loss between live and hanging was probably in horns. :lol: :lol:

Just picked up a half and the hanging weight was 405 lbs. and brought home approx. 4-1 lb. pkg. liver;64-2lb. pkg. of hamburger;22 sirloin;5 round steak;28 cubed;5 asst. roast at 4-5lbs. each;20 ribeye;6 porterhouse;12 t-bone and you can't forget the ox tail and tounge :lol: Don't forget that this is only a half ;-)

I am dropping off a 13-month-old bull calf on Monday the 5th . I will try to keep up with the weights. I don't think he will yield much though. He indexed 108 for birth weight and 76 for weaning wt. His 205 day was 487 pounds. He was just a runt.

Would anyone like to guess at the next 3 weights. I will run him across my scales when I load him, then hanging weight at the butcher. I can weigh the meet when I get him home.

His birth date was 4-10-06 so he will be almost 14 months old.

oops. Try 4-10-05.
Thank Y'all for pointing that out. I don't want to load the wrong calf.

alabama":26gtikdy said:
Would anyone like to guess at the next 3 weights. I will run him across my scales when I load him, then hanging weight at the butcher. I can weigh the meet when I get him home.

I sure couldn't guess at the next 3 weights, but would be interested in knowing what you end up with...(oh, but be sure and use a USDA scale cause you know the bathroom scale isn't the same as a USDA scale, so said my "ex-processor" - LOL!!!)

A lot of interesting comments, to be sure, and I appreciate hearing everyone's experiences.

teletigger":fy1a2urx said:
farm princess":fy1a2urx said:
Just picked up a half and the hanging weight was 405 lbs. and brought home approx. 4-1 lb. pkg. liver;64-2lb. pkg. of hamburger;22 sirloin;5 round steak;28 cubed;5 asst. roast at 4-5lbs. each;20 ribeye;6 porterhouse;12 t-bone and you can't forget the ox tail and tounge :lol: Don't forget that this is only a half ;-)
Unless my maths is out.....you brought home the best half first. :lol:
regards

I don't know what the shrink rate was or the live weight but for me I thought that was a good bit of meat considering it filled the freezer and that most of the steaks are at least one pound each

We are starting to feed out an older cow and I guess her weight at about 1100 lbs. The processer I called said that anything over 30 months they can only turn into hamburger - no steaks, because of BSE. I don't get it? I'm going to eat the hamburger just as much as the steaks. Has anyone else run into this? They also said that she doesn't need to hang because she's going to be all ground, is this correct too? So if I figure 1100 live weight, would 660 hanging weight, and 495 wrapped weight be about right? They charge $25 kill fee, plus $0.45 per lb hanging weight for grinding and wrapping. Is that about the normal charge? Thanks!

sidney411":28fe860s said:
We are starting to feed out an older cow and I guess her weight at about 1100 lbs. The processer I called said that anything over 30 months they can only turn into hamburger - no steaks, because of BSE. I don't get it? I'm going to eat the hamburger just as much as the steaks. Has anyone else run into this? They also said that she doesn't need to hang because she's going to be all ground, is this correct too? So if I figure 1100 live weight, would 660 hanging weight, and 495 wrapped weight be about right? They charge $25 kill fee, plus $0.45 per lb hanging weight for grinding and wrapping. Is that about the normal charge? Thanks!

Any older animals going into hamburger do not have to hang. I let em hang just long enough to get the animal heat gone and then grind away..

Just picked one up. Hanging weight was 450, bring home was 324 of which 120 was hamburger, 204 steak's, roast, etc...
Thats 28% of hanging weight.

alabama":37a3s5us said:
I am dropping off a 13-month-old bull calf on Monday the 5th . I will try to keep up with the weights. I don't think he will yield much though. He indexed 108 for birth weight and 76 for weaning wt. His 205 day was 487 pounds. He was just a runt.

His birth date was 4-10-06 so he will be almost 14 months old.

I just droped him off. The live weight as we loaded him in the trailer was 1075 pounds.
Any gusses now on his hanging weight and packaged weight?

Bama would you please PM me and let me know who did your calf and what you thought of the job they did? Or post it here if you want.
Thank you.

Weaver Meats on 55 between 157 and Falkville are the ones that did mine. They are meninites that moved into the area a few years ago. They have done severl deer and elk for us and we liked the way they operate. They vacumn seal everthing except the hamburger. Rail weight was 450 and my cost was $195. I had asked for the ox tail and they mistakenly forgot it. I didn't notice it but they caught it when I picked it up. I said don't worry about it. They insisted I take a $5.00 bill back as it was their mistake. I like them because I know they are honest and try to their best ability to please the customer.

Thanks Bama: I am uesing a new place and I hope i like it. If not I will try the one off of 157.

I think that older cows being made into all hamburger is the butchers choice. They can't save anything like spinal, so there's no T bones. But they can give you boned steaks. We just had a 6 yr old cow proccessed with about 100 lbs of cubed steaks made. Very good! :D

mnmt

Latest posts