Hanging Weight vs. What You Take Home

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching":3jofx441 said:
I think that older cows being made into all hamburger is the butchers choice. They can't save anything like spinal, so there's no T bones. But they can give you boned steaks. We just had a 6 yr old cow proccessed with about 100 lbs of cubed steaks made. Very good! :D

mnmt

With oilder cows we hang them for a couple of days then cut a couple of steaks of the ribeye. If they're chewable we get the rest of the loin cut, if not we just grind the whole deal then donate a lot of it to a local charity.

dun

just got back a yearling calf last month... $20 to butcher and 32 cents a lb to process. I guess different areas charge different prices.

MoGal":hy53ieyp said:
just got back a yearling calf last month... $20 to butcher and 32 cents a lb to process. I guess different areas charge different prices.

Here in Northeast Oklahoma I can get cattle butcher for anywhere from 30-50 cents a pound. Kill fee is $15-$32

cowboyekt":2cz85mae said:
Bama":2cz85mae said:
Just picked one up. Hanging weight was 450, bring home was 324 of which 120 was hamburger, 204 steak's, roast, etc...
Thats 28% of hanging weight.

You lost 28%

Pert Nert 28 percent zaxly, I had a ribeye from it yesterday. You couldn't turn the steak with a pair of tongs. I had to turn it with a spatula because the meat was falling off the bone. One of the best steaks I've ever had.

Bama":2y54iabr said:
Pert Nert 28 percent zaxly, I had a ribeye from it yesterday. You couldn't turn the steak with a pair of tongs. I had to turn it with a spatula because the meat was falling off the bone. One of the best steaks I've ever had.

Just a question but I have never seen a ribeye with a bone in it. I have seen a rib steak with a bone!!!!!

cowboyekt":3bhrf4x9 said:
Bama":3bhrf4x9 said:

Just a question but I have never seen a ribeye with a bone in it. I have seen a rib steak with a bone!!!!!

I think he was speaking allegoricaly.

3MR":282yutxm said:
cowboyekt":282yutxm said:
Bama":282yutxm said:

I think he was speaking allegoricaly.

Yep, I'm feeling a little alleg.. Allllegg... allegorically today. Thats hard to type much less say. I did have a T- bone yesterday, or was it half-tenderloin.

greenwillowherefords":15bsgrq2 said:
I've never heard of only a 5 pound loss from hanging to package weight. Jeanne is right. My first butcher told me it was next to impossible to beat a 30% loss. He only hung them for a week, and I changed butchers. The one I use now hangs them for 14-18 days, and charges 11 cents less per pound.

Our beeves routinely beat the 30% loss. They average about 25%. The last three in a row were in the 24-26% range. It has a lot to do with genetics, but probably more to do with how you feed them.

How do you feed yours? :?:

Latest posts