Hanging Time for Aging Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Our butcher usually hangs our corn fed beef 8 days before processing.
He has a good freezer with proper bacteria and enzymes present and claims 8 days in his freezer is equal to 12 days in others.
I've never had any complaints.
I've been told not go past 14 days hanging as any additional benefits aren't worth the additional shrink loss.

The discussions about grass fed beef flavor made me wonder if the benefits of aging grass fed beef beyond 8-12 days to
improve tenderness are worth it when it intensifies the already strong flavor of grass fed beef?

I always age mine for 15 days. Its more beneficial to you for them to hang as long as 15 days. I wouldn't worry about shrinkage because when you cook it will shrink that much more. The healthest form of beef you can have is aged about 2 weeks and grasssfed. Thats my opinion. From my .02 $

Around here the standard seems to be close to 3 weeks.. Trying a new butcher soon with out big steer, apparently he's really good at judging when to cut and wrap

Before our processor became well known and set up a new shop, he would hang for 28 days for us. Now he is too busy and can't do all the required trimming, so 14 days max. Just isn't the same.

Our butcher dry ages our steers for between 10-14 days. They are 100% grass-fed and have carcasses that weigh around 700 lbs or more. We have been very happy with the end product, as have our customers. We have not tried going any further than 14 days though.

Backbone Ranch":qfftv19u said:
Our butcher dry ages our steers for between 10-14 days. They are 100% grass-fed and have carcasses that weigh around 700 lbs or more. We have been very happy with the end product, as have our customers. We have not tried going any further than 14 days though.

question I should know the answer to :hide: but what is the difference in procedure between wet and dry aging?

Son of Butch":1izke50s said:
Our butcher usually hangs our corn fed beef 8 days before processing.
He has a good freezer with proper bacteria and enzymes present and claims 8 days in his freezer is equal to 12 days in others.
I've never had any complaints.
I've been told not go past 14 days hanging as any additional benefits aren't worth the additional shrink loss.

The discussions about grass fed beef flavor made me wonder if the benefits of aging grass fed beef beyond 8-12 days to
improve tenderness are worth it when it intensifies the already strong flavor of grass fed beef?

When I was butchering had an old man that would come in every couple of months and buy a hind quarter
and want it hung 14 to 21 days. By 21 days it was pretty slimy I am not real sure a buzzard wouldn't have turned up
his nose.

Latest posts