halter training

Help Support CattleToday:

animalhouse143

Reaction score
I recently aquired a new donkey, He's not a mini but not a mamoth...right inbetween. I believe he is about 2 years old and has never had a halter on him. He's very wary about humans, and will only come up to a human if there is a fence between him and you. I need to take him to the vet to get fixed in order to put him with our female. Any iddeas on how to get him halter broke??? anything would be helpful!!!!!thanks

animalhouse, you might like to check out this website for some good training tips. A donkey's relationship with people is based, in large part, on trust and without it, you'll get nowhere...and that takes some time, especially with a new one that's already wary. Take it slow and let him come to you. Once you're friends, they learn very quickly and they don't forget (which includes bad stuff as well as good stuff!).

http://calkinsart.150m.com/donkeymulein ... index.html

Wild Burrower Ropers - Feburary - 1960's - 1964 (?) Saline Valley, One valley this side of Death Valley

P1000606.JPG

Watering at the South End of the Valley
Thats me on the Right with my horse Tonisue

You bet - Wild Horses will normally stay out at the end of your rope and fight.
Bucky was the CCA Calf Ropin Champion (CCA= California Cowboy Assocition)

As a Calf Roper he would set his loop on a burro - go down the line - flip and Hog-Tie (2 or 3) burro's in one bunch.
My frst catch I watched Bucky and thought "H-e-l-l I can do that :!: :D :D

We spotted Burro's off about a mile - unloaded our horses and off we'd go - 3 miles latter we caught up to them - I went after this one Jenny that was headed up hill - Soon she was winded but so was my horse and there we stood looking at each other just out of rope range.

I ergedon my horse on - reaching out I caught Jenny #1 - being tied "Hard-N-Fast" I bailed off and headed down my line - About this time Jenny #1 laid her ears back, Baired Her Teeth, and headed up the line after me - thinking that this was NO Places for this "Want-to-Be" I turned to my horse - The trouble was that she had the same Idea - There I was both hands on my rope and my horse pulling me down the hill and a rampaging Burro trying to eat my @$$

Down the hill about the length of a football field my horse turned and started working the rope :cboy: style - I Caught-Up-and-On then turned to see Bucky sitting on a Hog-Tied jenny spliting-a-gut laughing.

Well I guess ya know that stories made the rounds :oops: :shock:

Latest posts