Halter Breaking Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":395ru42c said:
First, I would like to commend you for your patience. Most "newbies" get frustrated quickly.
There are tons of different methods for halter breaking. BUT, pretty much everything I have read & been exposed to, says to FIRST tie their head at an eye-level point. Tying high can cause injury to their neck or back. Plus, it is uncomforable for them & they will fight harder.
The object is to first teach them to tie - not stand. It's great if they relax and lay down. But if they are fighting & lay down, they can usually do so without hurting themselves. THEN, after they have been taught to tie, you should definately start tieing their head up higher.
I let my calves drag halter for a few days before tieing. Then I put one in a small pen, tie another rope on the end of their halter so I can hold on while they run around. I use a showstick to scratch them everytime I can get close enough. They will run around to stay away, but soon learn that it FEELS good & I'm not hurting them. Once they stop (and you will find that they generally stop in the same corner - their safe place) you can replace the showstick with your hand, first on the tail head area. They have a real hard time resisting raising their tail & licking the air when you get the "good spot". If you play with them for a while (maybe an hour) you will be able to pull on the rope & get them to turn their head to you, than you can "nudge" them into taking steps toward you. After working them like this a few times, THEN I tie them. Generally, they don't fight at all.
No matter what method you use - patience & reward. Reward is in the form of - rope loosens when they quit pulling or take a step forward. Leading to feed or water. Whatever it takes, just stay calm,
which it sounds like you have that down pat.
Good luck.
Last week I had the pleasure of meeting a gentleman by the name of Herman Detering. He travels all over the word traing people how to train cattle as well as horses with low stress. He uses the same method as you. He says he can cut the breaking time from weeks to hours with this method.
http://www.southwindfarmstx.com/html/cattle.html

Latest posts