Hairy Hoof Wart question

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Early last week I had a short section of woven wire torn down by my cows. The wire was around some hay storage. Anyway shortly thereafter I noticed one of my favorite heifers favoring her drivers side rear wheel. I figured she had injured it in the section of fence but after a few days the limp didn't get better. Anyway... I had two cows that had come up open when I had them palped back in October (I had a post about this and I had decided to give them a second chance before deportation took place) so I was taking them in to be palped and decided to give the injured heifer a ride in and have the vet look at her. Well to make a long story short she had a Hairy Hoof Wart that had gotten torn off and infected. The vet cleaned the sore, put on a topical antibiotic and bandaged. I brought her home and put her in a holding pen in the driest area I have. I can take the bandage off in 5 days or so. Has anybody had much experience with this condition. This heifers sire and dam both had excellent feet. The heifer is about 7 months bred so she is carrying extra weight and there has been excessive rain and mud here. Should I expect the other cows to get this too and what preventive measures can I take other than continualy moving my hay rings to new spots to reduce the amount of mud they stand in while feeding?

On a side note both heifers that were open in October are now bred. Evidently they both stuck on the next cycle. Now I have 100% confirmed pregnancies..$$$$$ I hope 8)

HHW lives in the soil for a long tikme, years and years. Moving the hay rings may help but the virus will still rear it's ugly head from time to time. Foot baths are claimed to help but nothing seems to be 100%. Treat it agressively when it shows up and hope for the best. It seems strange that year after year the same cows will have them and some cows never get them.
If there are any dairys around talk to them and see what they do for it. If you check with a dozen dairys you'll get a dozen different answers. Use the one that makes the most sense for your situation.

Nothing I can add to dun's post. HHW is a real monster. About all you can do is treat each infected cow (home remedies are about as good as anything) and move on. Good Luck HOSS.

all you can do is treat HHW when you find it.its very rare to find it in beef cattle.its commonly found in dairy cattle.an it can spread like wildfire.as was said a footbath is the best cure for HHW.hope you dont have to treat meny cows for it.we only had 1 or 2 cases of HHW when we milked.

Latest posts