Hair loss on calf

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I have a friend that has a calf about two weeks old. After it was born he noticed a patch of hair missing at the tail head and thought that maybe it had been skinned on a rock while it was being born. Now however the hairless patch has been extending up the spine. It now has a hairless streak down its back. He says the skin is kind of oozing in spots along the bare streak. He can't figure out what it is and the vet is a little stumped. Has anyone ever experienced this and if so what type of help can be given to the calf to help it recover? The calf is fairly healthey.....had some scouring early on.

Had one born like this hoss a couple months ago. At the time I found him he was wobbly on his feet, was covered in maggots and had droopy ears. I gave the booger some naxcel, twice a day for 5 days per vets recommendation and gave him electrolytes twice a day for three days until he was up and at em on his feet to nurse, also the vet gave me some panalog cream to put on the bald spots. He deduced it was from fever why the calf was losing its hair. I also sprayed fly spray on the calf and used saline solution to get the maggots out of his eye. According to vet it appeared to be pnuemonia, and him having a fever caused him to lose his hair. This calf never scoured though so I dont know. He also got colostrum at birth so I dont know what of that either. I can tell ya that when we wrestled with the calf to doctor it and touched the bald spots they stunk to high heaven so I dont know. His hair is growing back now and he is fat as mud so Im not worried about it.

I have seen some patchy hairloss at times on young calves and poured them with generic ivomec and it cleared up. i don't know if it is really a parasite problem though. Fever can cause some hair loss and the bare patches are bound to be easily irritated and exposed to parasites so the ivomec would benefit the calves. The hair may just be growing back on its own following the normal reaction to the fever. I have seen it happen a couple times since I moved to central Kansas two years ago and I saw it happen only once before that when I lived in northeast Nebraska for 48 years. It seems that parasite problems are worse here than they were in Nebraska and there is some logic that parasites would generally increase from north to south in the US.

Latest posts