hagglin with the salesman

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Whats the best way to get the best price when trying to purchase a piece of equipment or tractor? How much mark up is there in a new tractor or equipment. 30%?

Get prices from several dealers if you can, even if they aren't neccessarily the ones you plan to buy from. There is some dealer cost information out there, but they guard it pretty close. Margins on some things are higher than others, so theres no standard across the board percentage. Also depends a lot on what incentives the dealer is getting right at the time. I've always felt there was no need to let anyone get rich off of you, but everybody needs to make a living. You want him to still be there when you need him again. I worked in implement stores for 15 years,so I will also guarantee you, if you try to squeeze the dealer too hard you will pay for it later. They won't be near as willing to go the extra mile for you. It's just human nature. Also, a really good service dept. is worth paying a little extra for. If you can't get parts and service readily, or the shop has a spotty reputation, maybe it's not such a good deal.

Very well said Chuck, especially the service dept point.

With the internet nowadays, it's pretty hard to overpay by too much. Just find you a good tractor site, and ask a few folks in there what the going rate should be on the equipment you're looking at. And you can also email a few dealers and get quotes from them, to keep your local guy honest. I believe in buying local as much as possible, unless theres just such a blatent difference in price between my local dealers and a distant dealer. I usually will give the local guy a chance to come close to the less expensive price, and if he makes a sincere effort, then I think the convienence has to be worth something.

denoginnizer":1a0p8n36 said:
Whats the best way to get the best price when trying to purchase a piece of equipment or tractor? How much mark up is there in a new tractor or equipment. 30%?
The mark up on say a Bushog, can be anywhere from 10-40%. A lot depends on the pressure from another dealer selling the same or similiar piece of equipment,In the general area. With tractors, it's a little different game. Some dealers are like car lots, you can haggle with em', others seem to price tractors and not come off the price hardly at all. A lot seems to be what brand of tractor it is.I know the local New Holland dealer here, is high, and most folks will travel about 25 miles and buy from another dealer. Main thing besides price is to purchase from the best dealer that provides good service and readily available parts. If you can wait til this Fall or Winter, you can also save a lot. With most dealers having an inventory on a floor plan, they don't want to be paying interest on equipment sitting around.

denoginnizer":1tledmgo said:
What is a service department? I wish I could find a dealer with a good service department.

The service department is that building or big tree out back that you do your own service in! With Internationals I had to have the parts UPSed in from either Dallas or KC then fix it myself. Long was much better with a local dealer, JD has a service department but no mechanics, jusdt a bunch of lot boys.

dun

The service dept for our local dealership is out at the big tree for shade and has a wooden 'A' frame with a hoist. :)

Dick

Shoot, the service department for CASE IH around here just has the shade tree, but no A frame, just a hoist wired up to the lowest branch! (and a bunch of scrawny dogs around, to boot) :)

I agree with everybody else about the service dept. Our NH dealer we usually deal with is a little higher on the new stuff, but they allow more for trades, and their service dept is top notch. I don't know how you would test for that - maybe send someone in to a few local dealers with an oddball question, and see who does their best to answer it?

Always ask for the best price first, get several quotes and buy the best one. Never go back and start horse trading. When the other salesmen ring you back to ask if you are still interested, tell them you bought it somewhere else cheaper. If they say they could have beaten it, tell them you asked for their best price first. They will remember that next time.