Had another tornado!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I know I've posted pictures of this barn, but I can't seem to find them in my phone. It'd be hard to prove that a barn ever stood here, by looking at this picture. Believe or not a 36' x 48' weaning/livestock shed was standing here until about 7:00 this morning.

I took a big hit from a tornado in 2006, and lost everything. Another one came through in about 2015 and got a barn and did about 50k in damage to the house.

Same as the previous two times, I' more thankful that nobody was injured than I am worried about a little property damage. Ive pretty well decided to not build this barn back. My own fault, but I was pretty under insured on the thing, and it just doesn't seem practical to build it back. It only sees use about 3 months out of the year, and thankfully there was nothing in it at the time of the storm.

I might salvage some scrap, and build a roof over my squeeze chute. The tin doesn't look very salvageable though.

Anyway, everybody is alright. Nobody was hurt, and the cattle and horses are fine. The only asset any of us have is our family. Everything else is of no consequence.

ALACOWMAN said:
We were 70 degrees here with tornados and straight line winds ..good bit of damage...

Damage on your place? Still wads of people here without power. I actually never lost power to the house, but I did to my shop and barns.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
I guess tornados follow a different rule book than lightening.

Glad you're okay.
Typed a big response that disappeared. I've had 3 more cross the back of my place in the last 10 years. The nws swears to me that one geographic location is not more likely than all others. I don't see how that's possible. I've had 6 hit 300 acres in 12 years. Been plenty hit around me. The guy across the road, sold out and left. He said he just couldn't keep doing it. I kinda know how he feels.

They just had on the road close my house a tornado showing up on the local weather I am watching, but so far I have not seen anything. Hopefully it does not make it to the ground...Glad nobody was hurt Bigfoot....

Bigfoot said:
ALACOWMAN said:
We were 70 degrees here with tornados and straight line winds ..good bit of damage...

Damage on your place? Still wads of people here without power. I actually never lost power to the house, but I did to my shop and barns.
No ..thank God..but just a stones throw to the east, and south of us ..

Bigfoot said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
I guess tornados follow a different rule book than lightening.

Glad you're okay.
The guy across the road, sold out and left. He said he just couldn't keep doing it. I kinda know how he feels.
Well moving want help but temporary.. we use to be in the bulls eye..but now the paths have shifted more across Sand mountain..if you live in the south,tornados can, "will""happen year round,and any where..

The nws swears to me that one geographic location is not more likely than all others. I don't see how that's possible

The traditional Tx/Ok/Kansas tornado alley has somewhat shifted to the East.

Sorry for the loss of the barn, but as you said, no one was hurt and that is what counts in the end. You've had some rough times in the last couple of years. We got some strong wind gusts, thunder and lightning, and some real hard rain for a little bit but it had mostly worn its self out before it got here except for the rain. Other parts of Va got more rain. Might get some more rain before it completely leaves us. But a couple of days of sun, and then more rain for several days and temps in the 30'50's....

I can't imagine what it must be like being hit by a tornado. So glad you, your family and animals were unharmed. And now the big clean up...I wonder how much time we spend cleaning up after storms, time we could have spent in so many other ways.

All the best there.

alisonb said:
I can't imagine what it must be like being hit by a tornado. So glad you, your family and animals were unharmed. And now the big clean up...I wonder how much time we spend cleaning up after storms, time we could have spent in so many other ways.

All the best there.

You never stop. Years later we still find debris a mile from the initial hit.

TCRanch said:
alisonb said:

All the best there.

You never stop. Years later we still find debris a mile from the initial hit.
I still have debris that came from atleast 40+ miles..from the 2011 outbreak ..

Glad you're safe!

We had crazy winds here friday a week ago, and we had a little twister form in our yard, enough to flip a half culvert used as a feeder... In comparison to a real tornado it was nothing, but we had a dozen huge fir trees uprooted.. 36" at the base

We just got in from fencing. I "think" all the fences are back up, and actually don't look too terribly bad for what they've been through. We did a total replacement on some, but cobbled together the rest. Haven't really touched the debris yet. Ground is completely saturated. I'm not hopeful, but it'd be great if the ground would settle before next weekend. Maybe we could make a big stab at hauling it off.

Several people from the board have reached out to me, and I really do appreciate it.

Bigfoot said:
We just got in from fencing. I "think" all the fences are back up, and actually don't look too terribly bad for what they've been through. We did a total replacement on some, but cobbled together the rest. Haven't really touched the debris yet. Ground is completely saturated. I'm not hopeful, but it'd be great if the ground would settle before next weekend. Maybe we could make a big stab at hauling it off.

Several people from the board have reached out to me, and I really do appreciate it.

I should have but truth is I'm terribly lazy. I'd gladly hire someone to take my place.

Latest posts