GV BUll Critique

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbillycwo

Reaction score
Appreciate your comments on this Yearling Bull. I just recieved a photo of him from the breeder and haven't looked him over yet.

th_GVBull.jpg

From the photo I like his rump. His rear legs and front legs seem to be right but I don't like the top and bottom lines. I have requested his EPD's and will post them later.

Ask for a better photo that bull looks like there's a lot of potential but its hard to say from that stance.

hillbillycwo":2y3psp9h said:
Appreciate your comments on this Yearling Bull. I just recieved a photo of him from the breeder and haven't looked him over yet.

th_GVBull.jpg
At least he's black...........its kind of hard to see from here........

I can't tell much from the small pic. You might call the guy I told you about he usually has some nice bulls.

hillbillycwo":1cqpnadu said:
From the photo I like his rump. His rear legs and front legs seem to be right but I don't like the top and bottom lines. I have requested his EPD's and will post them later.
From your statements, I would suggest that you get a "mentor" to help you find a good breeding bull. And I'm not saying that to be mean. It takes a long time to have an "eye" for structural correctness and balance.

Thanks Jean. I do have one. I was looking at this one to gauge my progress in the mentorship thing. I saw the same discrepancies in the bull you folks did. He is not one for consideration for me as an investment into my herd. But the breed did impress me as this bull is poor for the breed he still has rump. The total package is what I am looking for. You guys have taught me that. The importance of bull selection is crutial. One mistake can affect your production for years. At least that is what I have learned on here (well one of the things).

hillbillycwo":zx0h5aqp said:
Thanks Jean. I do have one. I was looking at this one to gauge my progress in the mentorship thing. I saw the same discrepancies in the bull you folks did. He is not one for consideration for me as an investment into my herd. But the breed did impress me as this bull is poor for the breed he still has rump. The total package is what I am looking for. You guys have taught me that. The importance of bull selection is crutial. One mistake can affect your production for years. At least that is what I have learned on here (well one of the things).

Just curious....

Without looking it up on the internet....

can you point out where that bull (or any other bovine for that matter)'s rump is. I'm not sure all of us are on the same page.

I'm not saying you shouldn't look for a GV but have you considered Simmental? You will have a lot more selection, and they have similar traits. They are the most popular Continental if you can gage it by the number of bulls listed in the stud books. They must be doing something right :banana:

I did Jean. I like the breed had a few momma cows that were pure bred unregistered and they raised good calves always weaning heavy and young age. Sold one with bad feet and had to cull the other due to grass she was my oldest cow. Why not use Sim bull then. Well I guess the main reason is the foot. I am sure that the GV has some issues to but experience has taught me hard lessons. That foot issue coupled with the only cow on our farm that has put me over a fence or in the barn was Sim influenced. But man I love the looks of the breed. Limosines too for that matter. When I looked and studied over different bulls I like what the GV can add to my herd and they (as a breed) seem to have less propencity to cause the poor experiences I have seen. I am kicking around the idea however that in about 3 years using the Sim bulls as a terminal sire. I truly considered your advice many months ago about bulls and for what I am looking for right now the GV seems to be my answer.

Edit : I am still open however to suggestions and the experience of you more seasoned producers. Although you guys can be brutal... :banana: :banana: :banana: But I am a big boy and a Navy Warrant. The navy has given me some pretty thick skin and taught me when to :hide: ...never!

There are bad individuals in all breeds. As I said, there must be a reason for their popularity. And it isn't bad feet :shock: I've culled a cow or two over the years for bad feet. But, do I consider that a possible genetic problem. Naw.
As said, there is good & bad in all of the breeds. If you have researched & made that decision, than you should stick to it. Don't let anyone talk you into or out of something.
Well, except maybe this bull you posted :lol:

Well I just got the EPD's on this bull. Thought I would pst them for discussion purposes:

CE BW WW YW Milk TM GL CED SC ST CW REA MB DtF CV FM
EPD 109 -0.5 39 75 10 30 -0.1 106 -0.3 11.35
Acc .18 .30 .19 .09 .09 na .13 .07 .08 na na

His registration number: 1132452

Thoughts?

Latest posts