GV BUll Critique

Help Support CattleToday:

EPDs can help you to make a better informed decision when you have to decide between two outstanding individuals of a similar phenotype, they cannot however, make a poor specimen more acceptable.

Did you look at that reg number he is inbred not linebred and also his milk and TM were very weak. You can do better. If you need breeders in your area let me know.

I noticed that discrepancy on the GV site. Well to me it is. Not enough genetic diversdity. I just got another picture from the breeder and I think it highlights the reduced flank even more. I respectfully declined on him. He is definitely not the bull I am looking at investing in. I am going to keep looking. I have a number provided to call a guy about two hours away and see what he has.

I am located in central Kentucky(well the farm is), it is about 45 minutes to Elizabethtown (east), 45-60 minutes from Glascow. My son has been managing the day to day operations right now and is doing a great job. Ten of 30 calves on the ground and the rest due in March and April. 90 % heifers right now which I find statistically strange.

If you should have a breeder that you can think of PM me their email and or phone number.

Jean, Simmies aren't completely off the radar. They actually are the second choice for now to add the muscling I am looking for and the milk.

hillbillycwo":6vmnduqo said:
I noticed that discrepancy on the GV site. Well to me it is. Not enough genetic diversdity. I just got another picture from the breeder and I think it highlights the reduced flank even more. I respectfully declined on him. He is definitely not the bull I am looking at investing in. I am going to keep looking. I have a number provided to call a guy about two hours away and see what he has.

I am located in central Kentucky(well the farm is), it is about 45 minutes to Elizabethtown (east), 45-60 minutes from Glascow. My son has been managing the day to day operations right now and is doing a great job. Ten of 30 calves on the ground and the rest due in March and April. 90 % heifers right now which I find statistically strange.

If you should have a breeder that you can think of PM me their email and or phone number.
The primary reason there isn;t the genetic diversity in Gelbviehs is because Simmenthals got here first. I think if Gelbvieh had the lead time on arrival that Simmenthals had that it would be the other way around.

So Dun, Do you think that the closeness in the blood lines isn't an issue? To me it looks like the portential for a train wreck. Not that this bull is a player just asking your opinion.

hillbillycwo":1d46ddks said:
So Dun, Do you think that the closeness in the blood lines isn't an issue? To me it looks like the portential for a train wreck. Not that this bull is a player just asking your opinion.
I don;t particularly see it as an issue.

dun":2giebkr1 said:
hillbillycwo":2giebkr1 said:
I don;t particularly see it as an issue.
The fact that a 1/2 brother bred a 1/2 sister doesn't concern me as much as the fact that the dams are also related. He's pretty tightly wound for me.
Within small breeds, I think you will find this happen quite often because they just don't have a large enough genetic base. Are breeders actively importing new bloodlines?

Jean,
Maybe I am learning a bit . I was concerned about the exact same thing. This bull is wound tight on both sides, which conventional wisdom is that it is okay on the bull side. But the dam side is very closely related too. All that aside the bull is far from what I want in looks and I wasn't too impressed with the ancestral EPD's when compared to the breed averages.

hillbillycwo":2k542on2 said:
Jean,
Maybe I am learning a bit . I was concerned about the exact same thing. This bull is wound tight on both sides, which conventional wisdom is that it is okay on the bull side. But the dam side is very closely related too. All that aside the bull is far from what I want in looks and I wasn't too impressed with the ancestral EPD's when compared to the breed averages.
Linebred cows and linebred bulls don;t bother me too much, as long as the 2 sides aren;t linebred from the same line.
In theory the more homozygous an animal is the more likely it is to reproduce itself (or as close to itself as it can)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2kbghsko said:
I'm not saying you shouldn't look for a GV

Oh but you are.................................... :banana:

Guy posts a picture of a Gelbvieh bull, admitedly a highly inbred one that is also ugly to boot. So instead of letting the Gelbvieh guys point him towards a really good breeder with good cattle all the breed pimps have to jump on him and tell him pick me, pick me ,pick me.

BTW he's not only inbred but inbred to possibly the single ugliest bull in the breed, I wouldn't use him either, but there are some real nice Gelbvieh cattle in your part of the country and me or Double V will be happy to help you find them.

3way,
I would love the help. I have a number from Tom to call a guy over towards Owensboro but have been to busy to get a call to the fella. I am more prone to the GV over the Simmie because of the versatility. Breed him to registered GV and get a registration eligible calf breed to registered angus and you can raise balancers for sale registered correct? Not to mention the fact that the breed can really add some good stuff to my commercial cows. I know that other breeds can add to them as well and that you can get black in those breeds as well. But from talking to the cattle buyers where I sell the GV influence on my market calves will pay for the bull in the premiums that the calves will bring. Well at least that is what I am shooting for.

I must agree that bull is a sorry example of the breed. But as sorry as he is I still was impressed with the mass in his rump. But there are many more things I look at in a bull. SC was rather poor for this guy too. He should have been cut or banded.

But if you know a breeder to recommend please provide his contact information. My searches have been terrible.

But for the record I do like simmies they just don't fit into my business plan at this time.

hillbillycwo":205d8g1q said:
3way,
I would love the help. I have a number from Tom to call a guy over towards Owensboro but have been to busy to get a call to the fella. I am more prone to the GV over the Simmie because of the versatility. Breed him to registered GV and get a registration eligible calf breed to registered angus and you can raise balancers for sale registered correct? Not to mention the fact that the breed can really add some good stuff to my commercial cows. I know that other breeds can add to them as well and that you can get black in those breeds as well. But from talking to the cattle buyers where I sell the GV influence on my market calves will pay for the bull in the premiums that the calves will bring. Well at least that is what I am shooting for.

I must agree that bull is a sorry example of the breed. But as sorry as he is I still was impressed with the mass in his rump. But there are many more things I look at in a bull. SC was rather poor for this guy too. He should have been cut or banded.

But if you know a breeder to recommend please provide his contact information. My searches have been terrible.

But for the record I do like simmies they just don't fit into my business plan at this time.

Try this sale it's only a couple of weeks away. 2/5/2011

Seedstock Plus Tennessee Bull & Female Sale @ TN Livestock Producers
http://www.seedstockplus.com; 877-486-1160

You just showed up late for the party 3way i bumped this thread at least once so you and some more GV folks would give this guy some input. Come on now and give us some good honest thoughts on just why this bull still has its balls. :p :p

Red Bull Breeder":1530le8y said:
You just showed up late for the party 3way i bumped this thread at least once so you and some more GV folks would give this guy some input. Come on now and give us some good honest thoughts on just why this bull still has its balls. :p :p
Breeder doesn;t have a knife maybe?

dun":x73zzwwd said:
Red Bull Breeder":x73zzwwd said:
he could have borrowed one, if all else failed smack em with a hammer :cowboy:

Red Bull Breeder":3alwttq9 said:

I think I already said he shouldn't. I have been hunting in Kansas and left the computer home. I just sent him a link to the Seedstock Plus sale in Va.

ALACOWMAN":3a3cw9tj said:
dun":3a3cw9tj said:
Red Bull Breeder":3a3cw9tj said:
he could have borrowed one, if all else failed smack em with a hammer :cowboy:
:lol: :lol: that was a riot - got me lol all by myself

Latest posts