Gun Talk

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":dxb7zr9b said:
herofan":dxb7zr9b said:
I must say, you all must live in some rough neighborhoods. I had a discussion on another forum about cc and feeling safe. I'd say 90 percent of them said they did not carry and felt safe in their neighborhoods. Like me, they said if they felt they had to carry a gun, they would move.

What can I say you live in a great neighborhood. There's very few places that have no crime, and fewer places where no criminals ever drive by. My neighbors killed that elderly couple looking to buy a Mustang a few years back in Telfair county. And another neighbor killed a couple of drug dealers trying to rip them off in Wheeler county. I never had a problem with either one of them. The fact is you just never know what's going to happen, and as long as it doesn't happen to you it's no big deal.

I don't for a minute want to pretend that I live in Mr. Roger's Neighborhood where nothing bad ever happens. We have burglary and gun-play from time to time. I also don't want to pretend that I'm unaware that there are bad places in our country where violence is the norm; I'm just surprised that the majority of everyone here lives in one of those areas.

This topic has been touched upon from time to time here, such as the thread where someone asked if everyone carried a gun when they mowed their lawn. I thought it was a thread intended for humor, but I discovered people were serious. I don't disbelieve any of you. Several of you have given specific examples of what goes on where you live. I was just shocked that such a large number of you lived in that type of area. From reading your posts, I also got the impression that it was just the norm where you are from and that you thought I had my head in the sand for thinking my area wasn't so violent.
I mentioned that I addressed this same topic on another forum. I just wanted to see if I had cracked up. Many of them said they felt safe and don't carry a gun to feel safe.

As I said, I don't live in Mr. Roger's neighborhood, but there is not much "random" violence that goes on here. I can't ever remember some innocent person getting killed in a drug situation. It's usually just the rednecks shooting and robbing each other, but they don't involve random, innocent people, unless the definition of innocent people varies.

I love it when I see a story on something like 20/20 about someone who has been shot. They interview his friends, and everyone tells of what a great guy he was. As the story unfolds, it is revealed that he hangs out in bars, bootlegs, and had dabbled in drugs, but they show a picture of him smiling with his family and say that you could never meet a nicer guy. He's just a "good ole boy" and nobody has a clue how he ended up shot. He was just donating some knitting to the poor one day and somebody shot him.

Again, I'm just shocked that so many of you live in an area where you have to carry a gun to feel safe. As someone said, moving isn't easy, but I honestly believe I would move if I had to carry a gun to have peace of mind when I went out.

I live in a nice enough neighborhood and my house is on a business highway. Lots of traffic on this road and I don't know 99% of the people that travel it. I have seen lots of evil in the past and know it can rear it's ugly head at any moment. I don't live paranoid, but I do try to live smart. I have a duty to protect my wife and family wherever we go and I take that duty seriously. If getting in a bind ever comes up I want to be able to say I tried my best to be prepared for it. I don't think I could live with myself if I failed and lost my wife because I wasn't prepared. Next to God, she is the most precious person I have.

slick4591":1glompyj said:
I live in a nice enough neighborhood and my house is on a business highway. Lots of traffic on this road and I don't know 99% of the people that travel it. I have seen lots of evil in the past and know it can rear it's ugly head at any moment. I don't live paranoid, but I do try to live smart. I have a duty to protect my wife and family wherever we go and I take that duty seriously. If getting in a bind ever comes up I want to be able to say I tried my best to be prepared for it. I don't think I could live with myself if I failed and lost my wife because I wasn't prepared. Next to God, she is the most precious person I have.

For me, this was the most persuasive post justifying the benefits of CC.

Herofan,
You just ain't been in a tight spot yet. You may never.
I have, through no fault of my own. Being a hero was the last thing on my mind although I think others expected me to be.
I think some others on here have been in difficult situations as well.

Ryder":aq2a5me0 said:
Herofan,
You just ain't been in a tight spot yet. You may never.
I have, through no fault of my own. Being a hero was the last thing on my mind although I think others expected me to be.
I think some others on here have been in difficult situations as well.

True. I have not. I realize it could happen. It just seems like some here have more oppprtunity to be in tough spots than I do.

Bright Raven":1j1gpoci said:
I am pro gun, pro carry, have worked with armed federal officials in an enforcement environment, and have engaged persons using or threatening to use lethal force against federal enforcement actions.

I have had CC permits from Montana, the City and County of Denver, and Kentucky. I probably have not carried concealed for more than 100 hours total in my entire lifetime.

Candidly, I am by nature not paranoid or insecure. Being very open, this is just my gut feeling - I think many who carry are playing out their childhood aspirations of being John Wayne. I acknowledge that there are legitimate circumstances to be prepared and armed. I have been there, done that. However, how many people are conducting their daily lives in an environment that warrants being armed? Think about this, Do you wear a crash helmet while driving? I know that sounds crass but the likelihood of it saving your life in a wreck far outweighs the protection benefit of the gun you carry.

I find CC a PITA. I realize that you get accustom to it. The question is - Is the juice worth the squeeze?

PS: I acknowledge most users here feel like their life is in constant danger and I am sympathetic, but I simply don't feel that threat.

I just normally lurk, but I'll make the mistake of posting.

If the world is safe, why did you get a CC and why did the federal officers you worked with carry?

Fieldhand":1pyhnmuz said:
Bright Raven":1pyhnmuz said:
I am pro gun, pro carry, have worked with armed federal officials in an enforcement environment, and have engaged persons using or threatening to use lethal force against federal enforcement actions.

I have had CC permits from Montana, the City and County of Denver, and Kentucky. I probably have not carried concealed for more than 100 hours total in my entire lifetime.

Candidly, I am by nature not paranoid or insecure. Being very open, this is just my gut feeling - I think many who carry are playing out their childhood aspirations of being John Wayne. I acknowledge that there are legitimate circumstances to be prepared and armed. I have been there, done that. However, how many people are conducting their daily lives in an environment that warrants being armed? Think about this, Do you wear a crash helmet while driving? I know that sounds crass but the likelihood of it saving your life in a wreck far outweighs the protection benefit of the gun you carry.

I find CC a PITA. I realize that you get accustom to it. The question is - Is the juice worth the squeeze?

PS: I acknowledge most users here feel like their life is in constant danger and I am sympathetic, but I simply don't feel that threat.

If the world is safe, why did you get a CC and why did the federal officers you worked with carry?

First, glad you posted. 99 % of what is posted here is 'opinion' or 'commentary' (read that as bullshyt) so you cannot do any worse than anyone else.

THE WORLD IS NOT SAFE. Not in my opinion. Safe would be a state in which no one could suffer injury, violence, loss of property or life. That does not exist. But just how unsafe are we? I don't feel so unsafe that I carry three guns to go out and feed the cows. I don't feel so unsafe that I carry a gun to get groceries. I don't feel so unsafe that I sleep with my Ruger Blackhawk 44 magnum in my underwear.

Bright Raven":206k3pjo said:
THE WORLD IS NOT SAFE. Not in my opinion. Safe would be a state in which no one could suffer injury, violence, loss of property or life. That does not exist. But just how unsafe are we? I don't feel so unsafe that I carry three guns to go out and feed the cows. I don't feel so unsafe that I carry a gun to get groceries. I don't feel so unsafe that I sleep with my Ruger Blackhawk 44 magnum in my underwear.

I feel the same way.

A few things over the years have motivated me to always carry.
First almost 40 years ago when my wife and I were dating, we had been swimming at a state park. As we were walking back to the car a old beat up car started following us. about four guys in it were making comments about my future wife . We hurriedly got in the car, locked the doors, they stopped behind us blocking us in. I put the car in reverse and told her if they get out I'm gonna ram them. I felt helpless. I'm no Chuck Norris....
Bought my first pistol as soon as I turned 21. Stayed under the seat that was way before ccw.
Another time I was busy hogging a back field and noticed helicopters flying overhead. They were looking for a armed and dangerous fugitive. He was on my property, I was wearing the fore mentioned pistol , didn't need it, but I could have.
Then shortly after 911 I read that some of the terrorist that fled New York, had driven within a quarter mile of our home. It was sobering to find that people like that had been in such close proximity.
The world is not safe, and I don't think I'm being paranoid any more than having home and car insurance is paranoid.

Bright Raven":5enliz8e said:
Fieldhand":5enliz8e said:
Bright Raven":5enliz8e said:

First, glad you posted. 99 % of what is posted here is 'opinion' or 'commentary' (read that as bullshyt) so you cannot do any worse than anyone else.

Thanks for your 'commentary'.

Ron, if I'm not mistaken, that is your first name. You appear to provide an extensive amount to your posts. More than most. Think I'll nickname you
"More Ron". I don't much refer to anyone by their given name. Just a habit of mine.

Thanks for the reply.

Fieldhand":3r8hoysf said:
Thanks for your 'commentary'.

Ron, if I'm not mistaken, that is your first name. You appear to provide an extensive amount to your posts. More than most. Think I'll nickname you
"More Ron". I don't much refer to anyone by their given name. Just a habit of mine.

Thanks for the reply.

:cboy:

More Ron, it is. I am sure some here would love to have 'Less Ron'.

Yes. I make an effort to communicate my thoughts. I believe if a person can think it, then they should be able to express it.

Before he corrects me i should have said. "Proclivity to verbosity". Oops, forgot to capitalize I... Hard to communicate on a Kindle Fire...

Bright Raven":gnua3hq7 said:
M-5":gnua3hq7 said:
We see where the coddling and be nice culture has got us by the number of threads going at the moment. The demasculinization process has been going on the last 30 yrs. It's time real men stand up and kick azz and change the culture.

Darryl, I am going to aggravate you a little more on this emasculation theory. I hope others know like you do that this is just banter but I hope it makes us think.

I think this "emasculation theory" is crap. You are blaming society for emasculating males! A real man if there is such a term, is a man by only his standards - not society's standards. You cannot be emasculated unless you want to be emasculated. There is a hypocrisy here. I often read posts that whin about the "victim" mentality, yet here you are and I have read others, whining about men being emasculated. Isn't that nothing more that complaining that you are a victim?
male2.jpg

Latest posts