Guess what mix of breeds? (updated photos)

Help Support CattleToday:

Feet are a big problem with the highland breed. Main problem being they are predominantly a hobby breed and fairly rare so pretty much every female is sold and kept by someone to breed. When we bought our cows I didn't know much about good structure so I didn't may much attention to the feet. So we unfortunately have a few with terrible feet. After this years calves are weaned I plan to send those cows to the meatworks.

Here's a good article from the Bairnsley Highland Fold website that discusses feet problems in the highland breed

http://www.bairnsley.com/Feet.htm

Andrew

That Highland x Brangus actually is a nice heifer. What do you plan to do with her?

The original plan was to keep a small herd of pure highland cows and cross them with an early maturing terminal sire selling all offspring and buying replacement cows. One of the problems for us keeping heifers is that we don't actually live on the property where the cattle are. So heifers calving is incredibly stressfull when there is no -one there. But in saying that I'm tempted to keep her as highland cross cows apparently make very efficient mothers. So to answer your question: I'm not sure. :oops:

Andrew

Latest posts