Guess what cross

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Firstly I'd like to hear your thoughts on these calves (the intention was to breed for replacement heifers) and then it would be interesting to see if anyone can identify the two breeds that is in the make up of these F1 cows.
100_4374.jpg

100_4359.jpg

BTW the breeding season started 1 October 2007 so the oldest of these calves would be about 10 July 2008. Just milk and very good pasture and some vegetable peels as there is a canning factory on the farm where they run.
100_4365.jpg

100_4369.jpg

I'll post photos of the bull who sired the calves later.

KNERSIE":3drymlta said:
Firstly I'd like to hear your thoughts on these calves (the intention was to breed for replacement heifers) and then it would be interesting to see if anyone can identify the two breeds that is in the make up of these F1 cows.
100_4374.jpg

100_4359.jpg

BTW the breeding season started 1 October 2007 so the oldest of these calves would be about 10 July 2008. Just milk and very good pasture and some vegetable peels as there is a canning factory on the farm where they run.
100_4365.jpg

100_4369.jpg

I'll post photos of the bull who sired the calves later.
KNERSIE-

Well, the seemingly obvious answer to the F1 cows would be that at least one/half of the formula would be "KNERSIE'S HEREFORDS", and the other half (considering that your geographic location in the World is Africa) is - - - . . . . I don't have an OBVIOUS clue! But perhaps the other half is Simmental, but I don't really think that is correct! By a process of elimination - it isn't Angus! Or Irish Blacks! As a further guess - - I don't know!

Now for the calves. The Bull is a KNERSIE HEREFORD! And the resulting Replacemant Heifers are 3/4 KNERSIE HEREFORD and . . . I don't know! But they should be crackin' good cows bred to the proper "Eye" Genetics of KNERSIE HEREFORDS!

Those are fine looking calves, and almost any bull of optimal genetics should produce terrific crossbred progeny.

Now - - -! What breed is the "I don't know?"

DOC HARRIS

I can't think of anything other than simmental, but I think that's too obivous it be it. Either way those are some nice cows that look very easy keeping!

Dang it Harley those are some VERY nice calves...same with the cows.

Now as for the cross...I'm thinking Simmental, as it seems to be the most obvious breed of choice for an F1 cross like those girls.

i dont think so
something about their legs and assend looks like some type of dairy breed to me
most likely wrong though

They don't have the "ears" of any of the Bos Indicus nor do they have the Pinzgauer stripe & not seeing any rear end photos I would guess either Limousin, Gelbvieh

OK Jeanne was very very close with her first guess of hereford X red holstein. It is in fact hereford X Red Friesian, that explains why they are less dairy type than you would have thought a F1 hereford X dairy would be.

The calves are sired by a bull I sold to 2 commercial guys 2 years ago. They just bought another one from me now. So the calves would be 75% hereford 25% Red friesian 50% my breeding. I have no idea who sired the cows out of the red fresian cows.

Here is the sire of the calves, 4 1/2 years old, about a frame 6, I weighed him with a weight tape in the pasture (yes he is that tame) and according to the weight tape he's 1080kg (2381lb) Never had a single bite of grain in his life, but he has been on very good pasture the last two years and I'm sure he also had his share of vegetable peels form the factory.
100_4358.jpg

100_4383.jpg

Knersie, you really need to think about breeding some muscle into your cows.

The Red Friesian seems to sure compliment the Herefords. Too bad there are no Friesians here for us to play around with. The Irish Blacks are Friesian based but they are not widely in use. I have seen Friesian cattle on British websites and literature and they look to me like some real beef machines.

KNERSIE":1qbxu741 said:
Here is the sire of the calves, 4 1/2 years old, about a frame 6, I weighed him with a weight tape in the pasture (yes he is that tame) and according to the weight tape he's 1080kg (2381lb) Never had a single bite of grain in his life, but he has been on very good pasture the last two years and I'm sure he also had his share of vegetable peels form the factory.
100_4358.jpg

100_4383.jpg

If you are raising bulls that mature into herd sires that look like that, what in the world are you doing looking elsewhere for outside genetics? It looks like it's time to be using "home raised" sires and doing some linebreeding! :tiphat:

George

The bull looks terrific! What a meat wagon---what's his frame? What is typical
birthweights? Yes - get on the linebreeding wagon!

Latest posts