Guess what cross

Help Support CattleToday:

amerifax has fresian blood in them ??, nice cows i guessed simmi. that is what most herexsimmi(before they became black) crosses look like some of the best cows i ever had .

If you are raising bulls that mature into herd sires that look like that, what in the world are you doing looking elsewhere for outside genetics? It looks like it's time to be using "home raised" sires and doing some linebreeding!

George

George, I am linebreeding, just not to that bull or any close relatives of his. In my opinion he isn't quite the complete package enough to qualify him as a potential sire to linebreed to.

I used him a bit before selling him, his calves were good, but he sired no pigment at all. I sold quite a few bulls out of him, but only retained 1 heifer for own use. Originally I retained quite a few more, but needed money and the price was right so I sold them as breeders.

The search for "outside genetics" is more a business decision than a breeding decision. My breeding plans for the core of the registered herd is set in stone and they won't be bred to outside genetics, but its still always good to measure your own genetics up to the popular genetics elsewhere.

The bull looks terrific! What a meat wagon---what's his frame? What is typical
birthweights? Yes - get on the linebreeding wagon!

He is about a frame 6, birthweights were very average for my herd, between 34 and 38kg. His calves were born with heavier bone than the average calf in my herd though, can't really say they had heavier bone as they matured?

I think I've made alot of progress since that bull and I am much happier with what I am breeding at the moment than 4 years ago.

For some reason, those pictures of your bull reminds me of Grand Slam, the 1974 horned version, not the newer show calf producer, DB Grand Slam. I saw Grand Slam at Granite Hills in the mid to late 70's and have always thought he was one of the best Hereford bulls I had seen in person.

I tried to find a picture of him online but came up empty. I'll see if I can find one I can scan in.

George

Harley: When we see Herf bulls like that one we are very impressed, even if you aren't :) because those type are rare here. Most herefords that I see around are framey, pencil gutted things that are just plain, well let's just say, I don't appreciate them. Congratulations on your cattle. I love them and as soon as you can get me some semen, I will use it. Mac.

Keren":bj8wjs8x said:
Harley - what is the difference between Holstein and Friesian?

Here the names are used interchangeably for the black and white dairy breed.

The Friesian is the original breed that originated in the lowlands of Holland, the Holstein is an "improved" version developed in Canada if memory serves me. The Friesian is bigger boned, meatier and mostly a grazing dairy animal. In holsteins the production was pushed to the extreme with all the accompanying problems, but they produce at levels friesians could never dream of.

Latest posts