growth this year

Help Support CattleToday:

double v

Reaction score
Has the weather caused slower growing cattle this year or slower growing grass? Anybody seeing either??

Definitely grass. My spring calves are growing very well but my fall calves seemed to slow down when the grass did. These hot and cold temps have been interesting. Some of the hay around here looks great but some looks weeks away from being ready to cut.

Seeing the same, heard a report Kansas wheat was 3 weeks behind and nobody this way has stared planting.

havent seen either here. Cows are fat, and calves looking good, got fescue already headin out around here, but the other grass is looking good too. Should be a good hay crop this year, if the weather doesnt just crap out on us over the next few weeks.

double v":2vxie901 said:
Has the weather caused slower growing cattle this year or slower growing grass? Anybody seeing either??
My calves are growing and gaining faster. Don't think I've had better weaning weights.

I have had one fall born heifer that isn't growing quickly at all. The others seemed to have caught up on size for their age. We have a fall bull calf who had a slow start but he is now as big as his mother. It is weird seeing him nurse because you can't see the mother.

Latest posts