Grizzly bear attack in the Yukon

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
It was in the National Post today, a couple from switzerland had bought a place in the yukon, were making some kind of resort there. Here's the short version of the story

A grizzly bear breaks into their cabin through a window, they run out, the bear chases them and starts mauling the wife, husband gets a gun and shoots the bear, then drives his wife to the hospital about 20 minutes away, she died shortly after.

Full story here http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/10/31 ... y-reeling/

Now I'm going to read between a lot of lines here.. and make a few assumptions.. Perhaps some day the fellow will feel able to talk about the details of the attack.
A couple from a crowded country find the Yukon is a very romantic place.. Like (as the article said) Jack London and Farley Mowat stories, etc.. They have their little cabin and life is beautiful, they are good citizens, which means their guns unloaded of course, in a locked safe, with trigger locks, and the ammunition is kept away from the guns. The bear comes in through a window and chases them out, at which point he pins the wife on the ground, Husband runs inside, digs through the kitchen drawer where the keys are kept, goes to the safe, he's shaking so he fumbles the keys a few times, opens the safe, grabs a gun, fiddles with the trigger lock a bit, then goes for ammo, of course he grabs the wrong caliber at first, 7mm does not fit a 30-30, so he has to open the box, plop a couple into the mag, then runs back outside and shoots the bear, it takes 5 shots because he certainly didn't want to hit his wife and aimed high a couple times.

Sound about right? I wish PETA, etc would stop portraying bears as these cute cuddly things and get a bit realistic

You have no idea what happened so why all the dumb ass assumptions?? I hear grizzlies are pretty big and stout. Would take very little time and effort to kill a woman....You may be spot on but lets wait and here from him first.

I completely admit to making assumptions, I'm giving you a possible scenario with the current gun laws around here, that is all

If we had grizzlies in South Georgia it would go about like this. Bear gets to window busts glass wife grabs double barrel in corner and gives him both barrels to head. Husband comes in and asks her to make some tater salad, beans and coleslaw then calls all neighbors to tell them they are having a BBQ tonight

Was thinking on this and came to the conclusion is a bear was coming through our kitchen window the biggest delay actually be trying to figure out which gun to use.

Did these people not have dogs? Our county just passed a new law limiting us to only 30. There was a heated debate over this that lasted nearly two months. Tempers flayed. It almost got ugly but the law passed. I honestly don't know anyone with 30 dogs so I haven't a clue why they needed to pass this law. Must have been a slow day in the world of our prestigious lawmakers.

she died of mauling.. he must have been pretty desperate, apparently he was older and had lost a lot of weight.

The dog didn't do his job evidently, or they didn't pay attention to what he was 'saying'