Green Grass & Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
Just some pictures from the past few days. Nothing better than green grass & cows :)

IMG-8967sm.jpg

IMG-8935sm.jpg

IMG-9084sm.jpg

RA bull calf. 103lb BW. This one will likely end up a steer this fall but he sure is growing good.

IMG-9133sm.jpg

RA bull calf. 77lb BW

IMG-9116sm.jpg

IMG-8866sm.jpg

IMG-8848sm.jpg

IMG-9175sm.jpg

a group of yearling heifers that will be sold as breds this fall.

IMG-9177sm.jpg

There is 37 in the group - all but 6 are home raised. 8 are commercial heifers and the rest are straight Red/Black Angus.

IMG-9185sm.jpg

IMG-9187sm.jpg

This girl is one of the purchased ones but I might have to keep her. I'm loving the brindle patches around her eyes. The more she slicks off you can see some stripes on her body too but it's most noticeable around her eyes. I'm not sure where the brindle would come from as she is a 3 way cross between Angus, Hereford & Sim. Must be something else in the woodpile lurking back there though.

Great pics Creekdrive, thanks for sharing!
If I were in the market for a RA bull I'd sure be interested in that 103 lb bw calf.

Thanks all!

Silver said:
Great pics Creekdrive, thanks for sharing!
If I were in the market for a RA bull I'd sure be interested in that 103 lb bw calf.

Thanks for the compliment. It's not just the birthweight that might get him steered though - he has a real sloppy loose navel/sheath that I hate the look of. And as much as I know he wouldn't cause any calving problems on cows we just don't have a good market for 'cow' bulls where the birthweight is near or above that 100lb mark. We do keep a few calves each year with higher bw for a couple repeat customers that prefer the extra bw for their cows but they have to be really good quality or they just don't sell. It just doesn't pay to feed them all winter and then not have them sell.
You can see the ugly navel in this picture:
IMG-9087sm.jpg

This isn't a great picture but this calf also has a 103lb bw and most likely will get to keep his nuts in the fall. Overall just a better calf than the other one I posted and I like his dam a little better too.
IMG-8297sm.jpg

This is a crappy cell phone picture but this is my favorite bull calf so far this year. 78lb BW off of a first calver that is doing a phenomenal job. Super pleased with her and the calf so far.
iphone-backup-816sm.jpg

Great pictures, they all look good. I see the heifer bull wanted to be included in the pictures, just didn't want to be front and center. :)

Latest posts