Grazon/Horsenettle

Help Support CattleToday:

Texan

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten good control on horsenettle with Grazon this time of year after it has already been cut? This is in a bermuda/bahia hay meadow and I didn't realize the horsenettle had gotten that bad until I cut it.

I know that treating berries anytime in the year after they've been cut is a complete waste of time and money and I wondered if the same were true of horsenettle.

If you've had any luck, what rates?

I had some terraces on a 20 acre hay meadow that i took out back in the winter. And i guess i scatter horse knettle seed all over the feild in the process. Because about late April you would not beleave how thick the horse knettle was all over that feild.

Well i tried spraying about a third of the feild with a 10 foot boom sprayer on a four wheeler using grazon. I was tring to put 1 quart to the acre. I went back a few days later and the horse knettle was really wilting. I thought i had really put the hurt on it. Then a few days latter it looked like i had not done nothing to it.

I talked with the extention agent about it. And he said they recommend you spray horse knettle when it is starting to bloom out. And 1 quart of grazon per acre should do it. He came out and looked at my feild and the horse knettle was just begining to bloom out about the time he came out. He said if i wanted to be sure and get rid of it to use 1 1/2 quarts per acre.

So this time i rented a 30 foot sprayer that hooked up to a tractor. So that i could calibrate it and be sure to put out the right amount of chemical. And i sprayed 1 1/2 quarts of grazon per acre on the whole 20 acre feild. And it killed all of the horse knettle.

The extention agent says that horse knettle is biannual meaning it sprouts every other year. So it will take a couple of years spraying to get it under control.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Used grazon at 1 qt per acre. Killed everything except the horsenettle, black eyed susans and (butterfly) milk weed. Made the latter two pretty sick but didn;t kill them. The leaves on the horsenettle wrinkled some but has kept growing. It was anywhere from little seedlings, flowering and some gone to seed. Affected them all the same. The weed gurus looked at the field and just shook their heads. Said may be 2 quarts of grazon per acre would work. I'm just hoping now that the pecloram part of the grazon will keep the things from sprouting next year.

dun

I just broke down to spot spraying with crossbow.
Hey Texan they have some new stuff out called Milestone about 700 bucks a jug. To rich for my blood.

Thanks for the replies so far. Two quarts is getting a little bit rich for my blood, but that's what I was afraid of. Lot of help so far though, so please keep it coming. I might have to bite the bullet on this one meadow. :x

Caustic, I think I'll have to pass on the Milestone at that price. I wonder if I could find some for $650? Anyway, I thought you were gonna send me a barrel of fish heads and fish guts to treat my meadows with? What happened to that?

Texan":2ss66ea8 said:
Thanks for the replies so far. Two quarts is getting a little bit rich for my blood, but that's what I was afraid of. Lot of help so far though, so please keep it coming. I might have to bite the bullet on this one meadow. :x

Caustic, I think I'll have to pass on the Milestone at that price. I wonder if I could find some for $650? Anyway, I thought you were gonna send me a barrel of fish heads and fish guts to treat my meadows with? What happened to that?

I apologize I totally forgot about that organic fertilizer.

I really think the trick to killing horsenettle with grazon is applying the right amount of chemical and applying it when the majority of the horsenettle is blooming.

Horsenettle in my opinion is a tuff weed to begin with and they say 1 quart of grazon per acre should do the trick. And with ideal conditions ( most of the horsenettle in bloom and 1 quart of grazon to the acre, with the ambient temp 70 degree's or above, and you are SURE your sprayer is calibrated right where you are applying 1 quart per acre.) 1 quart per acre would probably be enough.

But i can say this for sure. My feild was BAD infested with horsenettle and after spraying it with 1 1/2 quarts of grazon to the acre with the horsenettle in bloom and having my sprayer calibrated right. It cleared my feild up clean. If you could see it now you would never have thought it had so much horsenettle.

And i think that next year i will probably still have alot of horsenettle because of it being biannual. And i will have to get the seed that did not come up this year. And i am going to do things a little different. I plan on waiting until it is in bloom and use only 1 quart per acre using a sprayer that i know is putting out 1 quart per acre.

That is just my 2 cents.

Great help, Stepper. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. That makes me feel more like trying it.

Latest posts