Horsenettle

Help Support CattleToday:

bulldog04

Reaction score
I bought 40 acres last spring. Horsenettle took over during the summer and a sprayed Grazon P+D and it did a fair job. Well its coming back again but not as bad this time maybe. Do I need to do the same thing or something different? I rent a 350 gallon sprayer from the local feed store. I also have pigweed coming up where I fed hay. Do I just need to cut them or spray or both?

I've given up the fight against it. Whatever function it serves better hurry up and get sorted. I'm tired of it being being here. Doubt it ever goes away.

I can't get rid of it either. It shows up in July in my pasture fields and I've never been able to keep it away.
I can spray it with pasture pro and it will kill it but it keeps coming back.

I went nuts spraying Grazon 3 years ago trying to get rid of it once and for all. Had the highest calf mortality I've ever had by far. Maybe the thing to do is spray before it comes up?

shaz said:
I went nuts spraying Grazon 3 years ago trying to get rid of it once and for all. Had the highest calf mortality I've ever had by far. Maybe the thing to do is spray before it comes up?

Spraying before it comes up is just targeting the seed. Won't get the tubers from last year that's going to come back.

Just a little search info.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/3989421?seq=1

Not sure I'd blame spraying for your calves problems.

I used Grazon Next last year. Disappointed with the results on the horsenettle. This year I used the new herbicide DuraCor. The horsenettle quickly wilted and turned yellow. I sprayed 10 days ago and it is still in the yellow drying up stage. Time will tell, but I expect control will take a few years. My understanding is that the best time to spray is after flowering. DuraCor is by the same company that makes Grazon. $110 per gallon. 12 oz/acre.

Its not that difficult. Try GrazonNext instead of the P+D. Spray it twice the first year. The first time in early spring when it is just a couple inches tall and then again in mid summer if it is growing well and you have moisture in the soil. After that a once a year spray in the spring will help keep it in check. If the plant is not growing and healthy, the herbicide will not work well.

Plain old 2-4 D alone will not do much to this plant. This article will help.

https://www.techlinenews.com/articles/2018/managing-invasive-nightshades-horsenettles-in-natural-areas-and-pastures

I put out fertilizer impregnated with Grazon Next June 1st in a effort to knock them back. I haven't looked it over good since then but will have a good idea when I cut it again. I ran out leaving a small strip so will have a good comparison.

I was always told to weight until horse nettle is bloomed out before you spray it for best results.

Horsenettle is a tough weed to control. Plan on spraying for a couple of years to get it under control. Most folks do not use enough water. Use the recommended rate of herbicide with an non-ionic surfactant with 18 to 20 gallons of water per acre.

simme said:
I used Grazon Next last year. Disappointed with the results on the horsenettle. This year I used the new herbicide DuraCor. The horsenettle quickly wilted and turned yellow. I sprayed 10 days ago and it is still in the yellow drying up stage. Time will tell, but I expect control will take a few years. My understanding is that the best time to spray is after flowering. DuraCor is by the same company that makes Grazon. $110 per gallon. 12 oz/acre.

Update on using Duracor on horsenettle this year. It has been about a month since it was sprayed. I am pleased with the results. Even though it has been dry here and I was late in spraying. In the spots I missed, it is about a foot tall with fruit/seed.

Hoping for rain soon.

Latest posts