Grazon

Help Support CattleToday:

rollinhills said:
Can anyone tell me the difference between grazon next HL v grazon P&D. I found a generic for the p&d for $25/gal versus $55 for the grazon next hL. If it's close to the same thing I may start using it instead.

Patten is out on P+D they needed a better trap. I am not a Grazon fan due to it killing my clover seed bank.
2-4-D doesn't there is a trade off.
To clean up new ground Grazon is great, have to remember it can't tell a bad seed from a good one.

Remember the people selling the stuff are in the seed business as well.

rollinhills said:
Yes I hear you on the clover deal, I've got 90/ac I need to get cleaned up got a lot of bull nettle 2-4D won't hardly kill that. I'm using grazon next HL now but was wondering the difference between that and the P&D? I can get the clover back after I get it cleaned up some.

P&d is restricted use. I don't think NEXT is.

rollinhills said:
Can anyone tell me the difference between grazon next HL v grazon P&D. I found a generic for the p&d for $25/gal versus $55 for the grazon next hL. If it's close to the same thing I may start using it instead.

They both kill a lot of the same things. The P+D has picloram in it which is more for woody type plants. GrazonNext HL does not have it and has a lower use rate (HL= high load). Both are hard on clover no doubt. Like others have said I try to clear up ground with grazon and then use 2,4D. A good combo that I have used is GrazonNext HL and Remedy.

The difference? I'd have to google that. Id say the in p+d is dicamba, but thats a guess. I've used both extensively, and the HL is a better product, worth the additional money.

The difference is the p+d is picolram (spelling)
Federally restricted. I only use the p+d where prickly pear and cedar control is needed. If a long and strong residual is not objectionable the generic p+d will do everything the hl will do and more. But just keep in mind it can effect some grass seed germination as well as broadleaf. So on well established grass ok.
If you plan to reseed in the next 6 months probably stay away from p+d.

callmefence said:
Federally restricted. I only use the p+d where prickly pear and cedar control is needed. If a long and strong residual is not objectionable the generic p+d will do everything the hl will do and more. But just keep in mind it can effect some grass seed germination as well as broadleaf. So on well established grass ok.

So I'm guessing it will effect crabgrass germination?

rollinhills said:
callmefence said:

Very well might. Both grazon products are labeled for established pasture. Not for preplant.
You really don't want any herbicide on any sprouting seed. When you have a herbicide with soil residual and seeds germinating, that is the situation you have. If you're planning on seeding you want something with no to little residual. Like 24d. If more punch is needed I really like pasture guard which has a very short residual ...a few weeks iirc. Or let your grass get up then spray grazon.

callmefence said:
rollinhills said:
callmefence said:

Very well might. Both grazon products are labeled for established pasture. Not for preplant.
You really don't want any herbicide on any sprouting seed. When you have a herbicide with soil residual and seeds germinating, that is the situation you have. If you're planning on seeding you want something with no to little residual. Like 24d. If more punch is needed I really like pasture guard which has a very short residual ...a few weeks iirc. Or let your grass get up then spray grazon.

not in tending on reseeding yet gonna have to get some of the weeds under control first, have another big problem that Grazon won't fix , it is Japanese Stilt grass only thing I can find to kill it is Milestone and the cheapest I can find it is $112 a quart.

rollinhills said:
callmefence said:
rollinhills said:

not in tending on reseeding yet gonna have to get some of the weeds under control first, have another big problem that Grazon won't fix , it is Japanese Stilt grass only thing I can find to kill it is Milestone and the cheapest I can find it is $112 a quart.

Most of the Milestone recipes only require a couple ounces though.

I dont know the details of each but we have cleared and maintained lots of country with the Grazon Next HL.

rollinhills said:
Yes I hear you on the clover deal, I've got 90/ac I need to get cleaned up got a lot of bull nettle 2-4D won't hardly kill that. I'm using grazon next HL now but was wondering the difference between that and the P&D? I can get the clover back after I get it cleaned up some.
We use grazon p+d (picloram plus 2,4-d) and are happy with results. Do not use around trees (we stay away from the dripline and use 2,4-d around trees). Bullnettle is listed on grazon label and states to apply in spring when plants begin to flower.

Bullnettle is hard to kill and have to usually go back and spot spray. I think the timing is important to kill bullnettle.

Here we have to have a pesticide license to buy grazon p+d. Which is easy enough to obtain.

Read the grazon p+d label here:
www.cdms.net/LDat/ld0B1014.pdf

ccr said:
rollinhills said:
We use grazon p+d (picloram plus 2,4-d) and are happy with results. Do not use around trees (we stay away from the dripline and use 2,4-d around trees). Bullnettle is listed on grazon label and states to apply in spring when plants begin to flower.

Bullnettle is hard to kill and have to usually go back and spot spray. I think the timing is important to kill bullnettle.

Here we have to have a pesticide license to buy grazon p+d. Which is easy enough to obtain.

Read the grazon p+d label here:
www.cdms.net/LDat/ld0B1014.pdf

P+D and trees: I too had a problem around trees I didn't want to loose and yes I got into the outer limits of their drip line. Didn't kill them but took them a very long time to recover and not sure they ever did, when comparing current size to other trees of the age then, where it wasn't applied. Don't remember the other results of using it and that was a long time ago. But D without the P is my current preference for broadleaves since I have no clover to protect.

Try a Dicamba 2 4 D mix that all the chemical companies make under different names. Not quite as harsh a residual as the Grazons and much cheaper. I use a product called RifleD. I think Brash is the same mixture. Be careful though as it will drift a good ways.

Latest posts