Grazing headed out wheat

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
I have tried to find out if grazing headed out wheat can cause any problems with cattle. I know it can cause horses to have some mouth problems. I planted a couple acres as a cover crop on my garden last fall. I was planning to let the cows graze it down before tilling it up and planting sweet corn.

Is there anything to worry about?

OP
kentuckyguy

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
I was just planning on turning 5 8 mo th old heifers in on it. They are in the pasture closest to it.

Walking W

Reaction score
Is there a possibility of grain overload/acidosis? I let my small grains( wheat , oats, triticale) pasture go to where it headed out. When I turned out my steers into it they went off their feed. I got them back on hay quickly and dosed them with probiotics. I don't know that's what happened but he signs were there. I could actually smell the difference in the breath of the animals. It was nearly a vinegar smell. After a couple of doses of probiotics and some lower carbohydrate feed, they recovered their appetite. I mowed down the pasture to get it back to producing leaves for grazing. https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/feeding-nutrition/grain-overload-acidosis-or-grain-poisoning-stock

annmariemz23

Reaction score
I have tried to find out if grazing headed out wheat can cause any problems with cattle. I know it can cause horses to have some mouth problems. I planted a couple acres as a cover crop on my garden last fall. I was planning to let the cows graze it down before tilling it up and planting sweet corn.

I don't know about wheat, but I have had problems with rye awns. I had heard that they can cause sores in horses' mouths, and my friend showed me some from some hay we made having annual rye in it. Then I looked in the mouth of a pet cow who died, and sure enough she had the same sores. (not the cause of death.) I am now wondering about foxtails. The horses readily eat them but the cows leave them unless there is nothing else. I don't understand it about the rye. I thought it made very palatable hay.

OP
kentuckyguy

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
Sounds like I’ll just bush hog it down and plow it under. Probably be the best thing for the ground anyways.

Silver

Reaction score
P

I would think it would depend on if the wheat was awnless (beardless) or not.