Grazing corn stalks

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I do winter grazing and bale grazing. But a neighbor visited Nebraska and was told cows winter all winter on only cornstalks in the field. I assume this is true so I was wondering what is used to supplement the cows when only getting stalks and especially the two months before calving.

We supplement stalks with cgf/soyhull pellet mix, monitor their stools close for corn content they are picking up from the stalks. If it looks like little to no corn, we will add a little corn to the mix in the hsrsh weather. Quality mineral. We also put out a quality round bale every few days

I spread turnips on a couple hundred acres of my standing corn stalks. Best thing I've ever done, lest than .20 $ per day carrying cost. Not sure on the timing where your from, but I spread the turnips the night after I combine the field August 28th. I'm sure north of me it is quite a bit later. Could also spread them with airplane in standing corn. I had to mix the turnip seed with 50lbs of dap to get them to spread

Tbrake":1nqn4yrf said:
I spread turnips on a couple hundred acres of my standing corn stalks. Best thing I've ever done, lest than .20 $ per day carrying cost. Not sure on the timing where your from, but I spread the turnips the night after I combine the field August 28th. I'm sure north of me it is quite a bit later. Could also spread them with airplane in standing corn. I had to mix the turnip seed with 50lbs of dap to get them to spread
Where are you located? Where do you get your turnip seed? How much do you pay for the seed? And do you just broadcast spread it into the stubble?