Grayish/white scours?

Help Support CattleToday:

Grey...I would start worring, is it very watery? You will have to find out which calf it is, check age...age is important to give you and indication of what you are dealing with ie bacteria, virus etc. Check for blood in feces as well.

Didnt see any blood. I have half a dozen 6 month olds.
And about the same newborns to 2 months.
I just found one that calved tho.
Wonder if that's the culprit. She was still preggo yesterday. So overnight she had it.
Wonder if it's that new babies first poos?

A calf's first poop (meconium) is usually dark and slimy, so this stuff came from one of the older ones. Keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't worry too much. Lots of calves scour, very few need treatment.

I doubt it...too young and a newly born will have bright yellow/orange poop from the colostrum etc.

Hmm, grayish white. Clostridial scours? I've had good luck with sulfa tabs. Baytril works good, but that's off label. What ever antibiotic I use I also give therapeutics. i.e. Multi-min90, vit A D&E, vit B. Electrolytes if there really doggy.

I've been watching the lil bull calf. Hes doing well.
Hes out of a heifer I raised. My bestest, most friendliest heifer.
It rained all day yesterday. I'll put eyes on him again this eve. But he was up and at em this morning.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
It can be milk scours. Ignore if it is. Generally, if a calf is actually scouring, their butt gives them away.

My calves seem to go through a cycle of this every once in a while. I've never had to treat. I'd agree with Jeanne that the rump generally denotes the culprit if actual scours.

Unless I see blood in it AND the calf isn't sucking, I don't do a thing.

BUT I also prevac cows with Endovac and vac calves with Calf Guard.

If calf isn't sucking and has no temperature, all I give is Metacam (Banamine for guys in US).

If has temperature, gets Nuflor as well.

White or light gray usually is undigested milk so probably too much milk but can also be needing some probiotics to help them digest. If they are on the cow and acting fine, I would just keep observing. If tame, give probias gel each day for a few days.

Hes still doing well.
His butt gives him away every day. But doing as well as any of em. Mama does have plenty of milk..
I'll try and get a pic next time I'm out and think about it

Since you've identified the calf, and it appears he's fine, I'd just monitor him until things clear up or get back to normal. As long as he's acting fine, I'd say he is fine. If he is just not gaining/filling out like his herdmates, it might be time to take action. Good luck!

Latest posts