grass

Help Support CattleToday:

regenwether

Reaction score
There was a good post on orchard grass. I don't see much about Palaton Reeds Canary grass. I've just started to use it. Interesting grass. It has a vast root to make it drought tolerate. I live near a river that floods. I've been sowing it down there the last few years. It's roots works well to hold the ground together near the river. Sometimes we will get floods and it will deposit a thick sludge when it goes back down. Most of the time it chokes out the plants that was growing. The Canary will however grow a new shoot through the mud.

From what I can see a negative is it is slow to establish but once you've got it....you've got it :roll: :lol: .

I'm looking at seeding it with some Russian Kura clover. It suppose to be a great match.

we did hay on a place that had a 2-3 acre patch of reeds canarygrass.I didn't know if there was a market for it(horses)so the owner used a bushog mower on it the first 2 cuttings.He said he had somebody wanting to buy the hay so for the 3rd cutting we round baled it up and it was heavy!He sold it right out of field to a horse owner.The owner had seeded it in a low wet spot and it is slow to establish but once it is established it can handle very wet soils,dry soils and low ph soils.They say it goes from high quality to low quality faster than most other grasses.

You don't want it to get mature. Like most grasses once it heads out the feed value goes down. One nice thing about this grass is it's a cool season grass yet acts like a warm season with regard to late summer growth.

Is it "Reed's Canary grass" or is it "Reed Canary grass"?? :???: Because the way I've heard it it's "Reed Canary grass." Whatever. Anyway, it grows wild around here, and if you let it grow up to maturity, it can get pretty tall...tall enough for a short gal like me to get lost in...and I'm a touch over 5' tall...it really likes growin in the low swampy spots, mostly in the sloughs and around the ponds.

Anyway, reed canary grass are supposed to also be bad for having alkali agents that could be bad for cattle if they eat too much of it, or I should say if they eat it straight. It ain't as palatable as Orchard grass or Timothy either, even at the growth stage, because of that alkaloid chemical in there. However, the reed canary grass growing around here must be of the reduced alkali variety because the cattle sure like it and there haven't been any cases of alkali poisoning on the farm, and they do have reduced alkaloid varieties around.

Here is a seed web site that sells it. http://www.welterseed.com I think the grass regenwether was Palaton Reeds Canarygrass. It is a tall cool season grass that has the ability to withstand flooding and is also very drought tolerant. It has a low alkaloid content. The grass blades are much less jagged than traditional Canary grass. :D

I have Reeds Canary and love it. When its too wet to be in the other fields, I pasture it and when every thing else is dry and dead this is my survival :!: :nod:

Latest posts