Grass tetany

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
All,

I have a good friend who has had 2 cows die in the past couple of weeks from out of no where. After the second one died he called the vet and the vet said it was grass tetany. He said they had a lot of cases of it this winter due to the mild conditions. I advised that he should have taken them to them local ag extension to have them tested regardless of what the vet said. Anyone else had this problem? Vet told my buddy to put out mineral with a high mag content in it.

Kyle

tnwalkingred":19wkcunz said:
All,

I have a good friend who has had 2 cows die in the past couple of weeks from out of no where. After the second one died he called the vet and the vet said it was grass tetany. He said they had a lot of cases of it this winter due to the mild conditions. I advised that he should have taken them to them local ag extension to have them tested regardless of what the vet said. Anyone else had this problem? Vet told my buddy to put out mineral with a high mag content in it.

Kyle
If it was grass tetany, the high mag mineral is how you counteract it.

twr,
Saw my first case of grass tetany (hypomagnesemia) of the year, last Monday. Second cow in this herd to die in just a few days' time.
Analysis of ocular fluid revealed low Mg level. Other than lots of subcutaneous hemorrhage/edema from where she'd been down convulsing, really nothing else abnormal about her.
Cows being fed wheat hay - which, even in a good year, might be lower in Mg content than a typical grass hay. But, as cool and wet as last spring and summer were, some of the grass hays being fed may also be lower in Mg content than normal.
Time to switch over to a high-Mg mineral.

Someone just told me the other day that I should try the 12% protein - High mag tubs from southern states. Maybe they have something there.

Latest posts