Grass I.D.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ohio Cowboy

Reaction score
I took a picture of the grass currently left in my pasture. Can anyone post it if i email it to them? After we get my picture posted can anyone id this grass type? Thanks

Just moved the cows onto this pasture on saturday. Any thoughts on winter grazing this stuff?

Pull a blade and rub your fingers lightly up and down on the wide part of the blade. If it has a rough feel it's probably fescue of some sort. Look real closely and see if there is a sort of W looking thing where it joints. If there is it's some sort of brome. If the seed stem is sort of triangular or squarish shaped it's some sort of sedge. You may have to wait till it seeds to get an answer. You might could take it to your local NRCS or the University Extension office. They'll need to have basicly a plant, roots and all.

Doesn't look like fescue to me. Blade looks too slick. I had grasses volunteer themselves this year, that I've never seen before.

That's a bunchgrass, so I'm thinking fescue as well, but I cannot tell without seeing the collar region of the grass. Fescues typically lack what is called a "ligule" which is a membraneous outgrowth from the "sheath" of the grass, seen when you bend back the leaf away from the stem.

This link is good on showing you some parts of the grass to see what I'm talking about.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/ID/idcharac.html

The second possibility that this could be be is a species of wheatgrass, one of the "harder" grasses like Intermediate or Slender.

Third possibility is that it could be ryegrass, but the leaves appear too narrow for that. Big bluestem is the fourth possibility.

Is there any way of finding some seed heads as well?

I thought it looked alot like some type of bluestem. I don't know if you have it in Ohio.
This is bdahl. A improved bluestem.
I seriously doubt it's that. But kr or big would look similar.

Ok i found two different types of seed heads. Obviously there are two types of grasses, but which two is still the question:)

Appears to be an assortment of KY 31 Tall Fescue, and Orchard grass, with a pinch on crab grass. Most likely perfect for winter grazing.

Latest posts