Grass-fed -- a new post

Help Support CattleToday:

Now don't go putting words into my mouth. :help: But he and alot others can get a premium. It all comes down to supply and demand.

brandonm_13":3qqrke9a said:
Now don't go putting words into my mouth. :help: But he and alot others can get a premium. It all comes down to supply and demand.

Supply and demand....reckon if Ed talks us all into going grass fed the market will definitely take a downturn. :shock: Heck I feed very little grain anyway. Just keeping a burr under ol' Ed's saddle. :banana:

grannysoo":17d7dafy said:
Hey Ed! Let's see some pics of them pastures that you have with those grass fed cattle. I sure could use a good example to help me in my search for good forage.

I'll be back around soon to check on them. I've got 60 acres to plant this evening with a MF135 and a 2 row planter, but 'ole tophand taught me how to do it in an hour or so. Hope I can learn as much from you as I did him.

Looking forward to them.........

Still waiting on you bighat....

And by the way:

john250":17d7dafy said:
Ed, you accuse me of attacking you personally. I've not attacked you personally, even as you stated that I'm feeding my family unhealthy beef.
But, since you started it, I've read all your posts and all the reports you posted and I think you're a pompous windbag. :welcome:

John, there's an empty seat on the short bus right next to where I sit. You need to join me, because that's where "Ed" thinks you belong.

grannysoo":1wydep1h said:
John, there's an empty seat on the short bus right next to where I sit. You need to join me, because that's where "Ed" thinks you belong.

Scoot yer danged butt over--these seats are a lot smaller than I remember. :dunce:

Texasgoatherder wrote:
Actually Ed all you've shown us is a jungle of underbrush, with really very little meaning to John Doe Consumer...Explain to him why YOUR beef cost twice as much as grain fed beef...could it have anything to do with expense??
None at all. Grassfed beef brings a higher price do to the better health benefits it provides over and above grain fed beef. As I have said before--- the educated public is more concerned about what they eat these days more than ever before and when you count all the land area planted in corn and your chain of stock-holders---- grain fed actually costs more.
A grass-fed producer has no middlemen-- no stocker, no feeder, no packer: gate to plate- we do it all.
your grain-fed genetics wont cut it on grass and this is a proven fact.
Ed

edrsimms":2n6yrvag said:
Texasgoatherder wrote:
Actually Ed all you've shown us is a jungle of underbrush, with really very little meaning to John Doe Consumer...Explain to him why YOUR beef cost twice as much as grain fed beef...could it have anything to do with expense??
None at all. Grassfed beef brings a higher price do to the better health benefits it provides over and above grain fed beef. As I have said before--- the educated public is more concerned about what they eat these days more than ever before and when you count all the land area planted in corn and your chain of stock-holders---- grain fed actually costs more.
A grass-fed producer has no middlemen-- no stocker, no feeder, no packer: gate to plate- we do it all.
Ed
Very well said !! People here, can buy ALL the grain fed beef they want, but NOT grass fed !! Thank God !!! :tiphat:

I just do not understand why these grain-fed enthusiasts are bound and determinined to support an industry that is just willing to give them the bare minimum for their efforts. They can't seem to break away from their dependency on others. Even a grain-fed producer that does an exceptional job --the middlemen get the extra profits and the producer gets nothing so their obsession is cost control rather than product quality. They feel like once they sell their calves at weaning they have no responsibiility for the quality of their product. Back in my grandfathers day, cattle were killed off grass from July to December and came from the feedlots the remainder of the year when the packers paid a seasonal premium.
Another thing back in those days (which makes Duns' post bad information) is that the largest grass-finishing operations in the US were in eastern OK and KS, SW Wisconsin and in upland mountain balds in Appalachia where most of the land base featured stony soils that couldn't be plowed.

Anyway they like being dependent on the packer and outright refuse to be independent. It is just bizarre. They could make a better living with grass-fed beef, but are disinterested due to their inability to re-learn traditional ranching.

talldog":3lpnjoka said:
edrsimms":3lpnjoka said:
Ed
Very well said !! People here, can buy ALL the grain fed beef they want, but NOT grass fed !! Thank God !!! :tiphat:

talldog":q6wqaysj said:
You're right-----I FINISH with the CHECK !!!!! :banana:
Thses guys just don't understand the Supply/Demand curve and I guess during Macro they were either asleep or badly hungover from a late night.

Supply and Demand Curve is perhaps one of the most fundamental concepts of economics and it is the backbone of a market economy. Demand refers to how much (quantity) of a product or service is desired by buyers. The quantity demanded is the amount of a product people are willing to buy at a certain price; the relationship between price and quantity demanded is known as the demand relationship.

Supply represents how much the market can offer. The quantity supplied refers to the amount of a certain good producers are willing to supply when receiving a certain price. The correlation between price and how much of a good or service is supplied to the market is known as the supply relationship. Price, therefore, is a reflection of supply and demand.

The Law of Supply
Like the law of demand, the law of supply demonstrates the quantities that will be sold at a certain price. But unlike the law of demand, the supply relationship shows an upward slope. This means that the higher the price, the higher the quantity supplied. Producers supply more at a higher price because selling a higher quantity at a higher price increases revenue.
Any questions? Ed

Our operation is grass fed. USDA approved operation. No cubes, no "feed", little effort (except for quality grass hay).

That aside, we're selling 95% lean ground beef for $5.00 a pound. Ribeyes and NY Strips for $12. to $15. a pound. Smoked sausages for $10. a pound. Tenderloins for $24.95 a pound. Beef sticks for $15. a pound. Selling at Farmer's Markets, etc. Smoked dog bones for $8.00 each.

And, strangely enough...most of Texas is Angus, Hereford, Brangus, Beefmaster country...go figure...there are still nitch markets out there...

Thank you for your post Bill......

Running Arrow Bill":xneqm51w said:
Our operation is grass fed. USDA approved operation. No cubes, no "feed", little effort (except for quality grass hay).

That aside, we're selling 95% lean ground beef for $5.00 a pound. Ribeyes and NY Strips for $12. to $15. a pound. Smoked sausages for $10. a pound. Tenderloins for $24.95 a pound. Beef sticks for $15. a pound. Selling at Farmer's Markets, etc. Smoked dog bones for $8.00 each.

And, strangely enough...most of Texas is Angus, Hereford, Brangus, Beefmaster country...go figure...there are still nitch markets out there...

Our Products:
Beef Lean Ground Beef
$5.95 PER POUND
Beef Short Ribs
$6.95 PER POUND
Beef Boneless Shoulder Roast
$7.99 PER POUND
Beef Bottom Round Roast
$7.99 PER POUND
Beef Chuck Roast (Boneless)
$7.99 PER POUND
Beef Eye Round Roast
$7.99 PER POUND
Beef Rib Roast (Bone-In)
$12.99 PER POUND
Beef Rump Roast
$7.59 PER POUND
Beef Sirloin Tip Roast
$8.95 PER POUND
Beef Cube Steak
$7.95 PER POUND
Beef London Broil
$8.95 PER POUND
Beef New York Strip Steak
$17.99 PER POUND
Beef Ribeye Steak Boneless
$16.95 PER POUND
Beef Sirloin Steak-Boneless
$13.99 PER POUND
Beef Sirloin Tip steak
$9.99 PER POUND
Beef Stew Beef
$6.99 PER POUND
Beef Tenderloin Steak (Filet Mignon)
$29.95 PER POUND
These cuts meet government guidelines for "lean" and are based on cooked servings with visible fat trimmed. Lean is defined as less than 10 grams of total fat, 4.5 grams of saturated fat, and less than 95 milligrams of cholesterol per serving and per 100 grams (3.5 oz.).
Sides always available

With a great product-- one doesn't need all the buyers in the world-- just a few educated palates will do
Some people still prefer the feed bucket and getting the bare minimum for their effort--we have been refusing that since 1986.
Ed

Running Arrow Bill":cnbuqi24 said:

Red Bull Breeder":9uvsscpu said:
You would have one be nice of a time selling it around here for those prices.

no doubt! im offering half's at 3$ lb hanging wieght and cant sell em. ive even got a organic store looking to take on the beef and sell is as all natural beef and i have sold them 2 and theyre still sitting on some of it becuz wally world is selling t-bones and siloins for about the same price..i mean for 5.99 /lb people arent gonna git a freezer and shell out 900 bucks for a half a steer when they can just nickel dime wallys crap and their kids dont care....

whole lot more stupid people out there than educated....im not knocking the grass deal cuz its my own as well but thats what ive found out about it and im fixin to truck 3 600 lbers to the market cuz i have no other outlet...talk about taking a beating...thats only 1/3 of wha i would make if i could grass mrkt em

thats my reality....maybe im one of the uneducated ones and just cant figure it out....btw i had a strip last nit at codys and it was a pos...me and the wife both were wondering why we ordered steak...it was grandmas day so we took her to her fav rest...

edrsimms":j1pfpe2z said:
Our Products:
Beef Lean Ground Beef
$5.95 PER POUND
Beef Short Ribs
$6.95 PER POUND
Beef Boneless Shoulder Roast
$7.99 PER POUND
Beef Bottom Round Roast
$7.99 PER POUND
Beef Chuck Roast (Boneless)
$7.99 PER POUND
Beef Eye Round Roast
$7.99 PER POUND
Beef Rib Roast (Bone-In)
$12.99 PER POUND
Beef Rump Roast
$7.59 PER POUND
Beef Sirloin Tip Roast
$8.95 PER POUND
Beef Cube Steak
$7.95 PER POUND
Beef London Broil
$8.95 PER POUND
Beef New York Strip Steak
$17.99 PER POUND
Beef Ribeye Steak Boneless
$16.95 PER POUND
Beef Sirloin Steak-Boneless
$13.99 PER POUND
Beef Sirloin Tip steak
$9.99 PER POUND
Beef Stew Beef
$6.99 PER POUND
Beef Tenderloin Steak (Filet Mignon)
$29.95 PER POUND
These cuts meet government guidelines for "lean" and are based on cooked servings with visible fat trimmed. Lean is defined as less than 10 grams of total fat, 4.5 grams of saturated fat, and less than 95 milligrams of cholesterol per serving and per 100 grams (3.5 oz.).
Sides always available

With a great product-- one doesn't need all the buyers in the world-- just a few educated palates will do
Some people still prefer the feed bucket and getting the bare minimum for their effort--we have been refusing that since 1986.
Ed

Sounds Great! Where can we order some of this from?

Sorry Granny...limited supply....and you know darn well you don't have an educated palate. You gonna have to stick with the great tasting stuff with just a bit of marbling and take a couple of fish oil pills to get those Omega 3's as you'd have to eat abut 12 lbs. a day of that 'grass fed' stuff to meet your daily needs.

TexasBred":3go9z657 said:

Sorry Granny...limited supply....and you know darn well you don't have an educated palate. You gonna have to stick with the great tasting stuff with just a bit of marbling and take a couple of fish oil pills to get those Omega 3's as you'd have to eat abut 12 lbs. a day of that 'grass fed' stuff to meet your daily needs.

Well at least tell me where I can order a big belt buckle then.......

grannysoo":15qmfgne said:
TexasBred":15qmfgne said:

Well at least tell me where I can order a big belt buckle then.......

Got customers waiting and can't get the man to tell us how to order. Probably waiting on the wife to tell him what's available and IF he can sell it. :banana:

Latest posts