Grass-fed -- a new post

Help Support CattleToday:

There is no reason to be so jealous of grass fed beef producers. We are the only ones making record profits in the cattle business today. The problem is that you don't want to re-learn traditional ranching practices as yall have bought in completely with grain-fed genetics and yall need to just keep doing what you are doing.
To get in this business, you are looking at a minimum of 10 years to bring your land base up to speed and get into grassfed genetics. Everything you have learned about grain-fed genetics you would have to just forget about including your land management practices. Plus, you would need exemplary marketing skills to be successful in this business. Takes a little more effort than a grain bucket.

I really think you are looking at two decades before you could prosper where there is such a steep learning curve. It is not impossible for you to learn about plant physiology, beef cattle nutrition in a forage-based environment, soil chemistry, marketing and finance, forage utilization and management, grassfed genetics, meat science, biochemistry of the meat animal, grass-finishing, the forage chain, understanding how to sync your cattle with the grass growth curve, bull selection and to re-invest profits in high return areas.
Most of you will think that the way to re-invest your profits would be to continue doing what got you there--which is not always the best ROI. Lastly a tip for you to digest:

The highest return on your investment will be your time spent learning new knowledge that most people don't know. This is the true source of competitive advantage.
Ed

The highest return on your investment will be your time spent learning new knowledge that most people don't know. This is the true source of competitive advantage.
I'll have to agree with your statement--- I've still gota lot to learn !!!!!!! :tiphat:

talldog":3m9lw4i2 said:
I'll have to agree with your statement--- I've still gota lot to learn !!!!!!! :tiphat:

Talldog you sound like an echo. Perhaps ed's alter ego. :lol2: :lol2:

There is no reason to be so jealous of grass fed beef producers. We are the only ones making record profits in the cattle business today. The problem is that you don't want to re-learn traditional ranching practices as yall have bought in completely with grain-fed genetics and yall need to just keep doing what you are doing.
To get in this business, you are looking at a minimum of 10 years to bring your land base up to speed and get into grassfed genetics. Everything you have learned about grain-fed genetics you would have to just forget about including your land management practices. Plus, you would need exemplary marketing skills to be successful in this business. Takes a little more effort than a grain bucket.

I really think you are looking at two decades before you could prosper where there is such a steep learning curve. It is not impossible for you to learn about plant physiology, beef cattle nutrition in a forage-based environment, soil chemistry, marketing and finance, forage utilization and management, grassfed genetics, meat science, biochemistry of the meat animal, grass-finishing, the forage chain, understanding how to sync your cattle with the grass growth curve, bull selection and to re-invest profits in high return areas.
Most of you will think that the way to re-invest your profits would be to continue doing what got you there--which is not always the best ROI. Lastly a tip for you to digest:

Ed

You read like a complete Alan Nation's shill; a zealot.

apical meristem":296zogka said:

Ed

You read like a complete Alan Nation's shill; a zealot.

This dude has had more aliases on CT than anybody I know....he's just a kid running rampant with a small amount of book learning. Doubt he owns a single cow. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and saw that he may be a "hand" on a grass fed operation.....like 4CTophand. :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":3scl4nhk said:
talldog":3scl4nhk said:

Maybe the echo you're hearing is coming from your own ears ! Like I've said before---I wouldn't know Ed Simms if he walked through the door, BUT, I happen to agree with MOST of his philosophy on grass and grass-fed beef and PERSONALLY learned a lot from him. If you don't like what or disagree with what he's saying----DON'T LISTEN !!! You seem to have enough to do staying up with the rest of your post !!! :tiphat:

PS--- I don't think Ed has any problems with his ego ! Sounds like to me he's pretty sure of himself ! :wave: :wave:

talldog":6hkndkm2 said:
TexasBred":6hkndkm2 said:
talldog":6hkndkm2 said:

Maybe the echo you're hearing is coming from your own ears ! Like I've said before---I wouldn't know Ed Simms if he walked through the door, BUT, I happen to agree with MOST of his philosophy on grass and grass-fed beef and PERSONALLY learned a lot from him. If you don't like what or disagree with what he's saying----DON'T LISTEN !!! You seem to have enough to do staying up with the rest of your post !!! :tiphat:

PS--- I don't think Ed has any problems with his ego ! Sounds like to me he's pretty sure of himself ! :wave: :wave:

So was the captain of the Titanic.

edrsimms":3nks38px said:
Ed

I'm still trying to learn where to buy this beef of yours at......

I did get me a big shiny new belt buckle ordered yesterday. :mrgreen:

Don't worry about Texasbred -- he doesn't even know the difference between a goat and a cow's digestive system -- could this be a typical TAMU graduate? -- I am hoping not. Texasbred has bought in COMPLETELY with his grain fed genetics because he truly believes in it, which is OK ---- My posts are not for him-- or any others who are diehard grainers.

Duns' poll proved that they are all grainers --thanks again Dun. They all voted NO, but in their explanations they revealed the truth that all their cattle needed the grain to make it in their particular operations. They lack good forage management skills and to compensate they use a bucket. LOL.

These simple minds will continue to bash the traditional rancher and I'm sure their great grandfathers and grandfathers are rolling in their graves this minute.

Grass-fed cattle raisers represent the traditional ranchers like my father, grandfather and father before him who were independent of the farmer, stockers, feedlots, packer and federal government. With nothing else, but good solid management of the soil, range, pastureland and cattle genetics can we be grass-fed producers.

The "grainer" denies their own history and disgrace the old ones who came before them-- that is their business and in reality they wish they could change, but in their stance of non-traditional ranching (some call it conventional, today) they are dependent on the farmer, dependent on the stocker, dependent on the feedlots, dependent on the fed govt. and dependent on the packer. They are incapable of standing alone and being independent. They work for those entities mentioned above and despise the independent Traditional Rancher.

They are merely sheep among the wolves, oh well.

Ok, Moving on with more grass-fed genetics and grass-fed operations basics in some more depth.

I would like to have a forum where the grain-fed enthusiasts would at least say something that resembles an educated response rather than just bashing the Traditional Rancher, because without us-- you wouldnt be here.
Ed

edrsimms":1334hvcx said:
Don't worry about Texasbred -- he doesn't even know the difference between a goat and a cow's digestive system You'd be surprised!-- could this be a typical TAMU graduate? -- I am hoping not. Texasbred has bought in COMPLETELY with his grain fed genetics because he truly believes in it, which is OK ---- My posts are not for him-- or any others who are diehard grainers. So if 97% of the CT members are "die-hard" grainers why are you even wasting your time posting this grass-fed stuff that they "won't" listen to?

Duns' poll proved that they are all grainers --thanks again Dun. They all voted NO, but in their explanations they revealed the truth that all their cattle needed the grain to make it in their particular operations. So you believe that spoiling the cows with a little grain to get them in for sorting and what-not is still considered supplementing cows? Funny, I thought "supplementing" means giving them what they need every day of the week of the month of the year. I didn't read anywhere about anybody saying anything close to that. Maybe I didn't see something that I "should" have. They lack good forage management skills and to compensate they use a bucket. LOL. How do you know about their forage management skills? You ever been to their farm before and see how they run it, especially how they manage their pastures? I'd be astounded if you did.

These simple minds will continue to bash the traditional rancher and I'm sure their great grandfathers and grandfathers are rolling in their graves this minute. LOL In your dreams.

Grass-fed cattle raisers represent the traditional ranchers like my father, grandfather and father before him who were independent of the farmer, stockers, feedlots, packer and federal government. With nothing else, but good solid management of the soil, range, pastureland and cattle genetics can we be grass-fed producers. ( :compute: )

The "grainer" denies their own history and disgrace the old ones who came before them Lets face it---things change.-- that is their business and in reality they wish they could change, but in their stance of non-traditional ranching (some call it conventional, today) they are dependent on the farmer, dependent on the stocker, dependent on the feedlots, dependent on the fed govt. and dependent on the packer.It's more the packer and fed gov't than anything, but okay you've got a point. They are incapable of standing alone and being independent. They work for those entities mentioned above and despise the independent Traditional Rancher.Even the traditional rancher wasn't completely independent. Where was he going to sell his calves? To the packer of course. Who was going to consume the beef and use the hide, hooves, offal, etc. of his cattle he sold? Consumers, of all businesses and variety of people. Which goes to show you that even the grass-fed producers are dependent on other folks to make their money; custom graziers, the local packer that takes in grass-fed products, the consumers, the livestock supply store, the veterinarian, a whole wack load of people. I read an article in the Canadian Cattlemen Magazine not too long ago that a grass-only producer wrote about how he has to "sell himself" in a way to make his grass-fed operation run successfully. That article told clearly about how he is dependent on others to make his profits and make him a successful "rancher" and businessman; just like the conventional cattle producers. So it's completely retarded to say that a rancher, traditional or not, is independent.

They are merely sheep among the wolves, oh well.

Ok, Moving on with more grass-fed genetics and grass-fed operations basics in some more depth.

I would like to have a forum where the grain-fed enthusiasts would at least say something that resembles an educated response rather than just bashing the Traditional Rancher, because without us-- you wouldnt be here. LOL then why don't you make your own? Or even a blog, that's even better; then you can talk about your grass-fed philosophies all you want. :) Ed

I would like to have a forum where the grain-fed enthusiasts would at least say something that resembles an educated response rather than just bashing the Traditional Rancher, because without us-- you wouldnt be here.
Ed

edrsimms":1wob6m3i said:

I would like to have a forum where the grain-fed enthusiasts would at least say something that resembles an educated response rather than just bashing the Traditional Rancher, because without us-- you wouldnt be here. Ed

Why did you mess with such a good thing ed...buffalo were ultimate.

I would like to hear an explanation of traditional ranching. :lol2: :lol2:

Was that driving the Texas cattle to Montana, let them graze 2-3 years, then what? :lol: :lol:

The Winter of 88-89 changed things, forever :shock: :help:

Read some history!! You got to learn how to feed cattle year around.

Feedlots made our US cattle industry.

mnmtranching":3ku0ken5 said:
I would like to hear an explanation of traditional ranching. :lol2: :lol2:

Was that driving the Texas cattle to Montana, let them graze 2-3 years, then what? :lol: :lol:

The Winter of 88-89 changed things, forever :shock: :help:

Read some history!! You got to learn how to feed cattle year around.

Feedlots made our US cattle industry.

Correction: it was the winter of 1886/87, not 88/89. :cowboy:

You know, I wonder if ed will even read that bit of history I posted? Or even if he came back (as ed)?

Hard to say...

IluvABbeef":1nclykx4 said:
You know, I wonder if ed will even read that bit of history I posted? Or even if he came back (as ed)?

Hard to say...

Not to worry. He'll be back as something............. and he certainly won't read or care about the history that you posted. That's for you "non-traditional" farmers that can't make it in the real world. Ed could grow grass in a 7 year drought or 15 feet of snow. :mrgreen:

I still want to buy some of that beef and learn how to farm 50 acres in 2 hours. Ed is almost as good as WWE wrestling on Monday nights. Same fake show, same typical plot, same comic amusement.

edrsimms":czycauav said:
No one dislikes grass fed producers. They share an experience common to all cattlemen.

What I personally dislike, not to name anyone in particular, is a fellow who says his beef is "6 times healthier" with no proof to back his claim.
First of all re-read at least some of the post as it is quite evident you did not-- here it is in summary for you:
To wrap this up, here are a few proven benefits of Traditional Ranching (Grass-fed Beef):
Grass-fed beef is better for human health than grain-fed beef in ten different ways, according to the most comprehensive analysis to date.

The 2009 study was a joint effort between the USDA and researchers at Clemson University in South Carolina. Compared with grain-fed beef, grass-fed beef was
1. Lower in total fat
2. Higher in beta-carotene
3. Higher in vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)
4. Higher in the B-vitamins thiamin and riboflavin
5. Higher in the minerals calcium, magnesium, and potassium
6. Higher in total omega-3s
7. A healthier ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (1.65 vs 4.84)

I know I'm late on this, and I'm gonna go back and read the rest of the pages (as someone has probably already pointed this out), BUT #'s 2 through 7 are ALL vitamin/mineral related.
Does the stockyard that finishes grain fed beef make sure they have the needed proportion of vitamins/minerals??? Even if it means adding flax seed, or vegetable oil high fat ?? Most minerals need to be chelated in order to get the most absorption (that's for cattle and humans as well)
You can bet on it that I do because I get assinine with myself over our mineral program because herd health, fertility and longevity depends on it.
There are many studies done or being done (mostly in other countries, not the US) that show genetically modified grains do NOT have the nutrition value ( I think that's one of the reasons people are sicker nowadays is because they think they are getting a nutritious meal and their body is deficient in minerals but pharmaceuticals have got a pill they can sell you to relieve (not cure) that symptom and then about 6 more pills to counter the side affects).

I've read the whole thing now and I see the flax seed was brought up several times.
I don't think grassfed are better than grainfed......... however, I do think the stockyard could improve the taste/flavor of beef.
If that weren't so, then why is it we can finish our own beef and it tastes better than the storebought.

But, we are a country owned by foreigners and if the US had consistently better tasting beef (which could be done) then beef producers would get more money for their product and we couldn't be integrated pricewise to the same as other countries. As long as there's no quota on the amount of beef imported then we'll continue to see herd sellouts/reductions and reduced beef prices while we watch beef prices go up in the store. Beef imports are affecting grassfed and grainfed US beef producers. This is a perfect example of keeping people antagonistic towards each other arguing about grassfed/grainfed instead of looking at the real culprit, imported beef. The american people consume enough beef to keep both types in demand and for both types of beef to be profitable (if imports were limited).

Actually with so many people on food stamps, in order to sell your own farm raised beef (whether its grassfed or grainfed) one would have to get set up so that people can purchase it on food stamps. I don't know if that's possible (whether the farmers market would help do that or if the local butcher plant could/would do it for a person or if that's even legal for them to do so).
As I see it, that's where the problem lies, inaccessibilty (when you have 1 out of 9 on food stamps and who knows what it will be six months from now).

I realize I carried the discussion farther than the original post, but I think everyone, whether grass fed or grain fed, are all looking to see where they can cut expenses/inputs. Its all so foolish, just cut imports.

MoGal":15xxt19e said:
I've read the whole thing now and I see the flax seed was brought up several times.
I don't think grassfed are better than grainfed......... however, I do think the stockyard could improve the taste/flavor of beef.
If that weren't so, then why is it we can finish our own beef and it tastes better than the storebought.

But, we are a country owned by foreigners and if the US had consistently better tasting beef (which could be done) then beef producers would get more money for their product and we couldn't be integrated pricewise to the same as other countries. As long as there's no quota on the amount of beef imported then we'll continue to see herd sellouts/reductions and reduced beef prices while we watch beef prices go up in the store. Beef imports are affecting grassfed and grainfed US beef producers. This is a perfect example of keeping people antagonistic towards each other arguing about grassfed/grainfed instead of looking at the real culprit, imported beef. The american people consume enough beef to keep both types in demand and for both types of beef to be profitable (if imports were limited).

Actually with so many people on food stamps, in order to sell your own farm raised beef (whether its grassfed or grainfed) one would have to get set up so that people can purchase it on food stamps. I don't know if that's possible (whether the farmers market would help do that or if the local butcher plant could/would do it for a person or if that's even legal for them to do so).
As I see it, that's where the problem lies, inaccessibilty (when you have 1 out of 9 on food stamps and who knows what it will be six months from now).

I realize I carried the discussion farther than the original post, but I think everyone, whether grass fed or grain fed, are all looking to see where they can cut expenses/inputs. Its all so foolish, just cut imports.

Ah yes, protectionism will sure fix the problem

dun":11dk0vk8 said:
I do think the stockyard could improve the taste/flavor of beef.

You made some very good points but I don't think the feedyard is to blame for this as I believe this has more to do with the processing plants adding stuff to it to make it more affordable and/or to improve their margins. ie - fat and water. As for steaks, here you can't even buy prime cause the grocers will not carry it. Most have standing orders with locked prices for select or better.

Jogeephus":9xi5eu8f said:
As for steaks, here you can't even buy prime cause the grocers will not carry it.

The only way to get prime around here is to grow it or mail order it. You sure won't find it at the grocery store or meat markets.

Latest posts