graining nursing cows

Help Support CattleToday:

scooter

Reaction score
I read a comment by Angie that nursing cows should not be grained. I have been feeding 2, appx 700 lbs calves and 1 nursing cow with 1 month old calf who is starting to eat grain and hay also out of the same bunk. Should I stop this? They are getting a combined amount of 40 lbs of corn,oat, beef pellets, molasses mix that equals 14 %. They get free choice good hay. If it matters nursing cow is angus and appx 1200 lbs.
Thanks
Scott

Do they have access to good quality grazing and enough acreage to support both of them. If so why spend the extra money on a grain mix? An expensive one at that.

scooter":2rniirub said:
I read a comment by Angie that nursing cows should not be grained. I have been feeding 2, appx 700 lbs calves and 1 nursing cow with 1 month old calf who is starting to eat grain and hay also out of the same bunk. Should I stop this? They are getting a combined amount of 40 lbs of corn,oat, beef pellets, molasses mix that equals 14 %. They get free choice good hay. If it matters nursing cow is angus and appx 1200 lbs.
Thanks
Scott
Good Lord! You are pushing me under the bus! :stop: I did not say they should not be grained. I said they are not grained. I will now also add that neither I nor anyone I know who raises beef cattle grains the nursing cow to increase milk production in a typical situatiuon. All you people out there graining ~ carry on.

I appologize. I guess I read it wrong. I was in no way intending to throw you under the bus. I was just curious. Very sorry.
scott

scooter":cz4kg23s said:
I appologize. I guess I read it wrong. I was in no way intending to throw you under the bus. I was just curious. Very sorry.
scott
Well geeze, now I feel like I kicked the dog.

I just got my axe handed to me about advise on feeding cattle (even though I was right, it even says so in the Bible), and didn't want a repeat.

Its ok ~ really. Don't be sorry. I'm glad you clarified.

No they dont have sufficient grazing yet. I have planted pasture and its growing nicely but will wait till next spring to put them on it. I have 240 acres not all planted yet though. We get several feet of snow so no grazing then. I made the rookie mistake of getting cattle before pastures were ready yet. I am making do for this year.
scott

angie":sztd0k2h said:
scooter":sztd0k2h said:
scott
Well geeze, now I feel like I kicked the dog.

I just got my axe handed to me about advise on feeding cattle (even though I was right, it even says so in the Bible), and didn't want a repeat.

Its ok ~ really. Don't be sorry. I'm glad you clarified.
Don't be sorry for throwing Angrie under the bus it is something a lot of us wish would happen more :banana:

You should not have to grain a cow that is nursing if they are on good grass. Grain will make them give more milk but a cow that will not give enough milk to feed a calf with out grain needs to be culled.

Lots of folks feed a little all grain dairy feed in this heat. It runs about 9% protein so they can have it in the summer with no problem. When my nurse cows are wet, that's what they get. About a coffee can in the a.m. and one in the p.m. It keeps them coming into the nurse crate just fine. All the beef cattle are foraging with no supplemental feed and they are doing just fine.

I feed grain to my nurse cow when she has a litter of calves on her. It is real tough on her to feed that many calves with grass alone. I don't think It is usually profitable to grain beef cows.

Latest posts