Grafted calf

Help Support CattleToday:

slyfarmgirl

Reaction score
I lost a calf in cold weather Sunday night - woke up to a dead calf off one of our best cows of course. Couldn't find a replacement calf nearby. Next night another cow had twins - took one of the twins to the mama that lost her calf and put in a pen together on Tuesday at noon. She took the calf right away and has become extremely protective. I had tubed the calf with colostrum before putting with new mama. She stands for the calf and the calf has been in the righspot - I did see it with a tit in mouth but didn't suck. She doesn't like me watching her gets very agitated so I left her alone. However her bag still seems very full.

The calf, being a twin, is likely small in the first place. New borns come out hungry but after that the appetite seems to taper for a while. Frequent small feedings.

Once he has nursed that cow for three days, he will have her scent absolute and there should not be much more concern.

The twins were actually both just as big as any calf that we have born here. The new momma really likes the new baby won't let me too close! I guess I expected that the calf would drink enough from one quarter to be noticable, but she was quite engorged and if the calf is having small feedings I guess it is okay. Baby is not crying and seems to be very brighteyed. Maybe the grafting just went too well and I am wondering where Murphy's Law is going to come and bite me.

slyfarmgirl":i0yq5jjp said:
I guess I expected that the calf would drink enough from one quarter to be noticable, but she was quite engorged and if the calf is having small feedings I guess it is okay.

Not that easy or straight-forward. Usually the only way you can tell if a calf has nursed is because one tit won't be as shiny as the other 3, and that tit will be less engorged than the other 3. Not much difference in the quarter itself, however. Takes several days to a week, depending on milk production, for that to happen.

Latest posts